Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hi All,
I'm De'ana, Marks' (not particularly) silent other half :Smile:

As some of you may know we recently purchased a Hymer Van 522 and we are about to set off to the continent for about 9 months. I have been reading this forum avidly to get information and ideas and am really looking forward to going.

However, as I am a bit of a worry-wort, I feel we need to have a safe. It isn't possible to put our camera gear in a safe, they don't come that big but there is passports, cash, laptop, ipad, phones, paperwork....

I am aware that:
1. Lots of people go to Europe and don't get robbed.
2. If they really want your stuff, you can't stop the buggers
3. You can always resort to insurance to replace stuff

I have read every post I can find on this forum for ideas and and I can only see one place to install a safe. The garage is only accessible from outside, the batteries ect are under the cab seats, the water tank is under the dinette seat. Other posts suggest alternatives which I've taken on board, but I just can't see anywhere. I've poked and prodded and unscrewed fittings, moved things and measured. Believe me, there is nowhere else.

Anyway, no matter where we put it, Mark & I don't have the skills, the tools or the location to do this kind of work. We would have to remove a false board to have access to the chassis and push aside some piping and wiring as well. And then it would probably be best to reinstate the false board over the top as a shelf perhaps. I don't see that there is any point in buying tools for a one off job and we are staying with relatives in a terrace house so the only place to do the work would be out on the road. No thanks....

I have also tried to find a company that would install a safe for us on the internet. But there doesn't seem to be anyone out there. We asked the people who installed our solar panels but they didn't seem terribly interested. Maybe I should have been more assertive about it but I was reeling in shock from the bill at the time :Eeek: and let it slide.

We are located in Manchester, not adverse to traveling if we really need to.
So can anyone make a suggestion of someone who would do the work ?
Any other brilliant suggestions?

I'm really over waking up at all hours and worrying over this, it was 4.30am this morning:Sad:

Regards,
De'ana

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi All,
I'm De'ana, Marks' (not particularly) silent other half :Smile:

As some of you may know we recently purchased a Hymer Van 522 and we are about to set off to the continent for about 9 months. I have been reading this forum avidly to get information and ideas and am really looking forward to going.

However, as I am a bit of a worry-wort, I feel we need to have a safe. It isn't possible to put our camera gear in a safe, they don't come that big but there is passports, cash, laptop, ipad, phones, paperwork....

I am aware that:
1. Lots of people go to Europe and don't get robbed.
2. If they really want your stuff, you can't stop the buggers
3. You can always resort to insurance to replace stuff

I have read every post I can find on this forum for ideas and and I can only see one place to install a safe. The garage is only accessible from outside, the batteries ect are under the cab seats, the water tank is under the dinette seat. Other posts suggest alternatives which I've taken on board, but I just can't see anywhere. I've poked and prodded and unscrewed fittings, moved things and measured. Believe me, there is nowhere else.

Anyway, no matter where we put it, Mark & I don't have the skills, the tools or the location to do this kind of work. We would have to remove a false board to have access to the chassis and push aside some piping and wiring as well. And then it would probably be best to reinstate the false board over the top as a shelf perhaps. I don't see that there is any point in buying tools for a one off job and we are staying with relatives in a terrace house so the only place to do the work would be out on the road. No thanks....

I have also tried to find a company that would install a safe for us on the internet. But there doesn't seem to be anyone out there. We asked the people who installed our solar panels but they didn't seem terribly interested. Maybe I should have been more assertive about it but I was reeling in shock from the bill at the time :Eeek: and let it slide.

We are located in Manchester, not adverse to traveling if we really need to.
So can anyone make a suggestion of someone who would do the work ?
Any other brilliant suggestions?

I'm really over waking up at all hours and worrying over this, it was 4.30am this morning:Sad:

Regards,
De'ana

There are many ways to secure safe's without resorting to cutting floors, cosmetic solutions can get as basic as ashelf over the top to fully hidden units, our only problem would be exact /close match to wood already in use, prices can be as basic or as silly as you like, one important thing is to get the opening edge of the door close to a wall or other obstruction to prevent levers being used on the door and go for a key lock safe as opposed to electronic
If you cant get local help, give us a call at Pecks Hill Garage, were not close but happy to help
Geo

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Safe

Hi, we had one fitted when we bought our first motorhome from Lowdhams at Huddersfield, then had it switched to our second van by what was then Barrons at Darlington, finally switched again by the dealer who sold us our Hymer, Edgehill motorhomes in Mansfield. It's a key-locked Alko safe just big enough to take iPad, kindles, passports and other small valuables and documents and lives under the near side seat, bolted through the double floor. Based on our experience. I'd have thought most dealers would take a job like that on, and I wouldn't be without a safe.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I would tend to use the money in the pocket theory, if you stash your cash in one pocket, you lose the lot if you are picked or just drop it from your pocket. If you stash your cash in all your pockets, you still have some left after the event.
With regard to hiding goodies on the m/h, I think if a burglar were to force entry they would want to be in and out, so finding one item of value would probably see them off. However, if everything is stashed together, bingo, even with a safe that could easily be ripped out! (bolted in a poor place) There are more hidy holes in a m/h than you might think but you have to be a bit imaginative. (This is just my view having been the subject)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Put a false bottom in one of your top cupboards you only need an inch space to hid several passports etc, a money belt is another good idea, AND always travel with ALL doors locked. Heard of an elderly couple several years ago, that were stopped at a traffic light, the thief opened the hab door got in and cleaned them out of wife's handbag, lap top etc and was gone before the lights changed.

We have a safe in the bottom of the W/robe, stuck to particle board:Doh: We leave the key in the door:Smile:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Give all your millions to me. I will look after it for you, no need for a silly safe! :thumb::thumb:

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
When we go abroad, I use an old, thin, first aid box secured with strong double sided tape to a not easily found hidey hole. This is suitable for passports, tickets, spare money, registration doc etc. it's easily transferred to another vehicle if necessary and a lot cheaper and less hassle to fit.

Don't forget to keep photocopies of important documents and leave a spare set of copies with someone at home as well. It's also not a bad idea to have a spare wallet with some old cards and a small amount of cash which may satisfy the opportunist thief in a hurry.

Enjoy the trip :Cool:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
one thing I have learned, when you are trying to stash the goods, velcro is your friend..:ROFLMAO:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We thought about taking an old crappy laptop and hiding it not too well so if they get in they scarper with that
David

OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Funny you should mention that autoswan. the last people we talked to about the safe had seen a battery safe just as you describe at a show once, but could not find it again when he searched for it. He also couldn't source any safe for us and then install it. But the idea has at least been around.

There are shedloads of "diversion safes" but none I could find with a 12v car battery housing and a suitable amount of greese. :p

Thanks for the replies so far.

Cheers,
Mark

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
What about the 'old baked beans tin safe'. Not very good for passports but OK for notes.

I think that fitting of safes by companies is a little 'tabboo' due to the what if scenarios - 'he fitted a safe for me and it got stolen' etc.

The big security companies fit them, and charge for it too, half costs on indemnities no doubt.

The last safe I fitted I actually welded it in, it was going nowhere and was a great job. However, if someone really wanted what was in there they would no doubt destruct the surrounding area - back to square one. Security is a difficult one on a vehicle.

Trikeman. :winky:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
AS most motorhome safes aren't all that secure, perhaps the answer is to fit a safe and then keep your valuables hidden somewhere else. While the tea leaf is attacking the safe he isn't searching for all the multitudinous hiding places in most motorhomes.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What about the 'old baked beans tin safe'. Not very good for passports but OK for notes.

I think that fitting of safes by companies is a little 'tabboo' due to the what if scenarios - 'he fitted a safe for me and it got stolen' etc.

The big security companies fit them, and charge for it too, half costs on indemnities no doubt.

The last safe I fitted I actually welded it in, it was going nowhere and was a great job. However, if someone really wanted what was in there they would no doubt destruct the surrounding area - back to square one. Security is a difficult one on a vehicle.

Trikeman. :winky:
Thank you, Can I offer you a free Brake Check:ROFLMAO:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use one of these... Broken Link Removed
We fix it to a metal fixture such as a seat fitting or such like

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Our second hand Burstner Elegance came with an Alko safe fitted to the chassis and housed in the garage of M/H. :Cool:

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Our second hand Burstner Elegance came with an Alko safe fitted to the chassis and housed in the garage of M/H. :Cool:

And by the time any thief had unpacked all the stuff around it in order to get at it and of course accompanied by the alarm siren then he would need an appointment at a hospital for damage to his back (lifting out things) and his ears (from the siren) :ROFLMAO:

Kath

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back