LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Can anyone help please? When we picked up the van this light wasn't on. Yesterday I gave the cassette and good wash, put it back and now this light is on all the time. I checked the cassette is inserted correctly and it clicks into place as expected.

Do you think I damaged something with my over zealous cleaning?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 90

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Same thing happened when we first got our Hymer. We'd already booked it in at Hambiltons for various bits and pieces to be fitted including a Sog. When they looked, the float was damaged, possibly caused by over zealous shaking during cleaning!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hopefully you will only have knocked the float out of place rather than damaging it. I would remove the cover and seal (the manual will tell you how on your particular model), open the flap and have a look/feel inside to see if the float is stuck where it shouldn't be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Same thing happened when we first got our Hymer. We'd already booked it in at Hambiltons for various bits and pieces to be fitted including a Sog. When they looked, the float was damaged, possibly caused by over zealous shaking during cleaning!

So it there some kind of sensor on the float that something in the cassette cupboard has to ....erm...sense for the light to go out?

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hopefully you will only have knocked the float out of place rather than damaging it. I would remove the cover and seal (the manual will tell you how on your particular model), open the flap and have a look/feel inside to see if the float is stuck where it shouldn't be.

Ewwww:Eeek: OK that is definitely a job for Colin!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So it there some kind of sensor on the float that something in the cassette cupboard has to ....erm...sense for the light to go out?
As far as I am aware the float rises as the level of contents increases - much like the float in a cistern does. Once it reaches a certain level the circuit is made and the light comes on. If it is stuck too high (or damaged) the circuit is permanently made.

Ewwww:Eeek: OK that is definitely a job for Colin!

Why? You've just given it a good clean out :Smile: Get yer Marigolds on and yer screwdriver out :roflmto:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011

Think the float has a small magnet in it that activates a reed switch when your cludgie’s brimming ::bigsmile:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Do you think I damaged something with my over zealous cleaning?
Very probably. I always cringe when I see people indulging in over-enthusiastic swilling. :ROFLMAO:

The magnet that acts as a proximity sensor may have become dislodged. The switch itself is outside the tank; the magnet is on the float inside.

Useful article from the Caravan Club magazine. It may not be your exact model, but the principle will be similar.
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/5281308/technical.pdf

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
open the flap and have a look/feel inside to see if the float is stuck

But dont eat a sandwich at the same time.........:thumb::winky:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Ours light sometimes stays on but if we flip the flap once it goes out------do not ask about the logic it just does

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Ours light sometimes stays on but if we flip the flap once it goes out------do not ask about the logic it just does
the float and magnet obviously is sticking up. moving the flap dislodges it

basically as the name suggests the float arm is attached to a fart that floats on to of the liquid content. as this float travels up the tank, a magnet on it triggers a switch on the cassette housing turning on the light. nothing complicated, but access to the inside of the cassette is awkward especially for big hands

remove the surround and seal via the screws and it gives more room to reach inside. the float just clips in place, so vigorous shaking with water or solids swilling around inside can easily knock it out of place.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
forgot to say its a job best suited to a woman's delicate and smaller hands:ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

basically as the name suggests[HI] the float arm is attached to a fart [/HI]that floats on to of the liquid content. as this float travels up the tank, a magnet on it triggers a switch on the cassette housing turning on the light. nothing complicated, but access to the inside of the cassette is awkward especially for big hands

remove the surround and seal via the screws and it gives more room to reach inside. the float just clips in place, so vigorous shaking with water or solids swilling around inside can easily knock it out of place.

I would expect my light to always be on then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Ours used to come on when 3/4 full but over did the swilling and does not come now !!!!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

basically as the name suggests the float arm is attached to a [HI]fart that floats [/HI]on to of the liquid content. as this float travels up the tank, a magnet on it triggers a switch on the cassette housing turning on the light. nothing complicated, but access to the inside of the cassette is awkward especially for big hands

Oh god, I have just spilt my wine laughing at that:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Seriously though guys, I would rather buy a new one than stick my hand inside a 14 year old cassette.

However, there I am ready and poised with my finger hovering of the buy button on ebay, when Mr Colin Know-it-all comes home and says, no problem we will just swap it for the new one that is in the van garage. What?! "Oh yes" says he, all smug and clever, "there is a brand new one in a draw-string bag, never been used". :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
beats me why folks need gimmicks like this.....totally unneccesary.

Open the flap and look down the hole, if you see floaters and bog paper the cassette is full...simple and reliable :thumb:

Electronics....just something else to go wrong and undoubtedly cost an arm and leg to fix.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Seriously though guys, I would rather buy a new one than stick my hand inside a 14 year old cassette.

However, there I am ready and poised with my finger hovering of the buy button on ebay, when Mr Colin Know-it-all comes home and says, no problem we will just swap it for the new one that is in the van garage. What?! "Oh yes" says he, all smug and clever, "there is a brand new one in a draw-string bag, never been used". :Doh:

Smell going past your driveway is Terrible Sandra:cry:
See if you'd left it Colin would have fixed it no problem:thumb:

I think the toilet cassette must be the worst designed piece of motorhome kit ever.

QUOTE]
After the Hymer of course:whatthe::whatthe:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Smell going past your driveway is Terrible Sandra:cry:
See if you'd left it Colin would have fixed it no problem:thumb:

I think the toilet cassette must be the worst designed piece of motorhome kit ever.

QUOTE]
After the Hymer of course:whatthe::whatthe:

You be carefully your van doesn't melt in this sunshine :ROFLMAO:

chrissyvine

Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
I've recently adopted a system regularly encountered in Europe, where you are not allowed to put toilet paper into the toilet bowl because of the Septic tank systems widely used in rural areas. A convenient bin or plastic bag is all you need near the said convenience. As I've been free camping now for the last 6 weeks or so it makes emptying so much easier (not always able to rinse out) and increases the capacity of the tank.
Incidentally, NEVER put so called toilet wipes or wet wipes in a cassette as they certainly don't biodegrade and could block the emptying spout (speaking from experience here)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I've recently adopted a system regularly encountered in Europe, where you are not allowed to put toilet paper into the toilet bowl because of the Septic tank systems widely used in rural areas. A convenient bin or plastic bag is all you need near the said convenience. As I've been free camping now for the last 6 weeks or so it makes emptying so much easier (not always able to rinse out) and increases the capacity of the tank.
Incidentally, NEVER put so called toilet wipes or wet wipes in a cassette as they certainly don't biodegrade and could block the emptying spout (speaking from experience here)

Lucky you and the 20 trillion trillion flies can even fit in there! That's a terrible and most unhygienic way of disposing of excreta, (which is what the loo paper becomes).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Lucky you and the 20 trillion trillion flies can even fit in there! That's a terrible and most unhygienic way of disposing of excreta, (which is what the loo paper becomes).

you've never been to the Greek islands then !

Every public/bar/restaurant toilet has a bin with a plastic bag/liner into which ALL toilet paper is placed......there are notices requesting you oblige as the rather primative sewers cant cope and easily get blocked.
There are no smells and no flies even in the high summer temperatures.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back