Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ford Golden Eagle Transit
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
I'm a solo disabled female and until this week my only thoughts on security where feeling vulnerable on the road as a lone female in 21' mh.
I solved this one by buying a shop mannequin putting wig, beard and late partners clothes on him. Site manager offered him a beer :ROFLMAO:
Other concern was my power wheelchair which can't stay in mh when parked so stays in gazebo chained to my mh wheels when I'm on board :RollEyes:
I stay on C&Cc sites as I need the facilities & EHU. I'm going to the Detling rally and that's why I'm concerned about security.
My mh is lovely to me, but she is 21 years old, so :cry: not worth stealing.
I don't carry anything of value, except me :Blush:
I do have a personal alarm for when I'm returning home from Brownies in the Autumn/Winter but that's the extent of my security
Do other folk think that it is worth me fitting window/door locks on my mh?

Lucy

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
staying safe in your motorhome.

Hi Lucy, The answer is every motorhome is worth stealing,its worth money,and the more security that you can add is for your own safety,as you sound a target for the quick buck rascals,look after your investment and when your insurance is due tell them about all things fitted and you may get more discount,i hope this helps and good luck for the future,enjoy the motorhome life.regards H.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
Thanks for this :Smile:
I thought because she's so old she wouldn't be worth much to anyone else :Blush:
I forgot to say I do use an old fashioned steering wheel lock :Smile:

I'll look into other security things.

Lucy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
please dont get too stressed and worried about security, as it will spoil your enjoyment of the motorhome. there are a few basic and obvious things you can do to help yourself, but spending a fortune on security products is not really the answer

why not buy Jim's ebook on motorhome security from his shop on the forum
Link Removed

chrissyvine

Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
Hi Lucy
I admire your determination to continue motorhoming with a disablility. I am also a single female who has been travelling alone for the past 11 years, thankfully fit and able and currently on a long visit to Spain and Portugal. I have spent many nights on motorhome Aires or even on car parks and when on these I always set my alarm system. It is a Van Bitz Strikeback category 1 alarm and is very easy to use. You can set it in 2 ways, a) alarm the vehicle inside and out or b) to just alarm the doors and lockers so you can stay safe inside (or leave a pet when you go out). They can also fit an accessory cable linked to the system which can alarm bikes or a trailer or anything outside the vehicle. It isn't cheap (starting price around £600) but compared to other systems I've seen it's the best and will qualify you for a discount on your Insurance. Eddie and Lin who run the company are experts in their field and can offer a bespoke system to fit your needs. (I believe Eddie is a Funster, maybe a discount there!) Your van is precious to you, irrespective of it's age and as such is worth protecting and giving you peace of mind.
I have no hesitation in recommending them as they give excellent service and follow-up. (EddieVanBitz, if you're reading this I want a discount next time, please!):thumb:

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Lucy, I mostly travel solo and like you stay on C&CC sites where I have always felt very safe. I would also recommend the Vanbitz Strikeback security system which I haven't used that much in Britain but had installed for travelling abroad. My biggest fear of being a lone female is travelling on the motorway near Barcelona en route to southern Spain. I've read so many stories about British motorhomes being tricked into stopping then being robbed that I might consider your very imaginative use of a male mannequin or simply avoid that route and go Portsmouth to Santander then via Madrid. :Smile:

OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
please dont get too stressed and worried about security, as it will spoil your enjoyment of the motorhome. there are a few basic and obvious things you can do to help yourself, but spending a fortune on security products is not really the answer

why not buy Jim's ebook on motorhome security from his shop on the forum
Link Removed

Thanks Big1, as I said really hadn't been worried until I heard that huge shows were a security risk.
Money is tight so don't want to spend if not needed. That said my mh means a lot to me...so want her secure and me too if I'm sleeping.
Dog is sadly not an option.
Used to fly a European Eagle Owl, that was a great guard :roflmto:

Lucy

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
vanbitz strikeback system is not expensive and well worth every penny xxx

Dont be worrying about being parked up at the show, theres plenty of security around and if something did go wrong theres plenty of funsters who are just ace at solving problems.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Ultimately security is about two things. How much security you have and how safe this makes you feel. If you don't feel safe then you may wish to increase your security until you do. Whether you need extra locks depends on how comfortable you are with your current level of security and if you have to ask the question then the answer is likely to be yes. It actually isn't a question someone else with different criteria and circumstances can answer for you. After all, if you are very large and have a rottweiler onboard you may not feel you have a need for extra locks. If you feel vulnerable, either when onboard or when absent from your motorhome, then you can hardly feel happy about motorhoming and perhaps you should look to increase your security until you do.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
motorhome security

Hi, also a solo femsle traveller.
I use campsites, or Aires in towns.
One huge advantage of being with Fun is security at the shows. Your neighbours will know if any strangers are hanging round your van:)
As for travelling round barcelona, I drove in the center lane as I really didnt know where I needed to turn off.
Once the blinds are shut, no one knows if there is one person or six in the van.
Don't let your worries spoil your enjoyment, just be sensible.
Might be worth pm to smudge who as a wheelchair user can give you additional info from his perspective .

Happy camping, Sue ::bigsmile:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Hi Lucy
Just a idea get a pmr 2 way radio a lot of funsters use them
On site just ask at rally some one I sure would leave theirs on so if you had a problem just radio them we did this in morocco it just became habit to leave them on all time channel 5 seems to be most used by funsters

I would recommend some thing like this

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
Hi Lucy
I admire your determination to continue motorhoming with a disablility. I am also a single female who has been travelling alone for the past 11 years, thankfully fit and able and currently on a long visit to Spain and Portugal. I have spent many nights on motorhome Aires or even on car parks and when on these I always set my alarm system. It is a Van Bitz Strikeback category 1 alarm and is very easy to use. You can set it in 2 ways, a) alarm the vehicle inside and out or b) to just alarm the doors and lockers so you can stay safe inside (or leave a pet when you go out). They can also fit an accessory cable linked to the system which can alarm bikes or a trailer or anything outside the vehicle. It isn't cheap (starting price around £600) but compared to other systems I've seen it's the best and will qualify you for a discount on your Insurance. Eddie and Lin who run the company are experts in their field and can offer a bespoke system to fit your needs. (I believe Eddie is a Funster, maybe a discount there!) Your van is precious to you, irrespective of it's age and as such is worth protecting and giving you peace of mind.
I have no hesitation in recommending them as they give excellent service and follow-up. (EddieVanBitz, if you're reading this I want a discount next time, please!):thumb:

Hi :Smile:
Thanks for your response.
At the moment finances are very tight,
but I will be in touch with Eddie & Lin :Smile:
Hope you have lots of fun & adventures

Lucy

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
You never know Eddie might donate one as a raffle prize at one of the shows

and if luck is going your way

you might even win it

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
Hi Lucy, I mostly travel solo and like you stay on C&CC sites where I have always felt very safe. I would also recommend the Vanbitz Strikeback security system which I haven't used that much in Britain but had installed for travelling abroad. My biggest fear of being a lone female is travelling on the motorway near Barcelona en route to southern Spain. I've read so many stories about British motorhomes being tricked into stopping then being robbed that I might consider your very imaginative use of a male mannequin or simply avoid that route and go Portsmouth to Santander then via Madrid. :Smile:

The mannequin "CJ" has been a great help,
broke down (in a car park :Smile:) while waiting for
RAC a shifty looking guy came to driver's door
and offered help, as I sat back a bit he noticed CJ
The guy raised both hands, "oh, sorry mate, no worries"
and scuttled off!
I keep all my doors locked and only open my window, but
I have to admit CJ does make me feel safer ::bigsmile:
He's a seated mannequin, leans slightly forward so looks as though
he's navigating :ROFLMAO:
Sometimes wears a hat & sun glasses too ::bigsmile:
All the best for your travels

Lucy

OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
Hi, also a solo femsle traveller.
I use campsites, or Aires in towns.
One huge advantage of being with Fun is security at the shows. Your neighbours will know if any strangers are hanging round your van:)
As for travelling round barcelona, I drove in the center lane as I really didnt know where I needed to turn off.
Once the blinds are shut, no one knows if there is one person or six in the van.
Don't let your worries spoil your enjoyment, just be sensible.
Might be worth pm to smudge who as a wheelchair user can give you additional info from his perspective .

Happy camping, Sue ::bigsmile:

Hi Sue,

Until I read posts about security I hadn't worried :Smile:
Understand what you mean about once blinds closed
who knows whose on board.
I move my mannequin from passenger seat to middle
of my mh when I've parked up. I try to do that when
no one is looking, I call goodbye when I leave, put the
radio on and lock the door discreetly.
Enjoy your travels :Smile:

Lucy
ps thanks for letting me know about smudge