Just bought an old Hymer B534 (1 Viewer)

james12345

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all - my first post on here, so please be gentle.

My wife and I have just bought a 1986 Hymer B534 as our first motorhome.

I have loads of questions, mainly about how things work (and how things don't work!) and wondered if there was anyone close to Bagshot, Surrey who'd be able to spare an hour to go through everything with me?

The previous owners only really used it where there was a hookup, but we plan to be a little more adventurous with it, and I'm struggling with even the most basic of operation of all of the appliances. For instance, I can't get the 12v lights to come on (may just be a flat leisure battery), I also don't understand the control panel (it's all in German) to more major things such as an electric boiler has been fitted, yet we'd like to look at re-instating the Truma gas boiler.

Unfortunately the previous owners were selling due to ill health (quite serious!) so couldn't offer a great deal of time / knowledge to go through it all.

I'd be happy to provide tea / coffee plus travel expenses if anyone would be willing to help?? I did notice that the previous owner was very local to me, but I didn't take a copy of the name and address before the V5C was sent off :Sad:

James.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi James, first of all you have done well finding fun for your information, it will be the best investment of £10 you will make.

If you don't get the info you need from this thread you could later try one with the heading does any one live in Suffolk, any other questions try to make the headings get the message across I am sure you will get the information you need.

You have got a good solid van the older Hymers are really well built, ask as many questions as you need that is what the forum is all about. :welcomefunster:

Upvote 0

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
someone with an older hymer than us!?
ours is a hymercamp 56 1989 on a peugeot base.
the first thing we did was get an autoelectrician in to sort our electrics and add some extra plugs and lights etc.
we've replaced the exhaust and the head gasket already.
everything in ours works apart from the truma gas only water heater.we just boil a kettle for washing up n washing in sink n use site showers.

Upvote 0

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
could you post aome photos of your apliances and control panel.it might help.some of our 12v lights didnt work,they had burnt out so we replaced them.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
There's a switch on the control panel that brings all your twelve volt stuff into play. It's a small rocker switch, with a red light that comes on to the right of it. Another red light to the right of that tells you when your hooked up, and the battery charger is in operation. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Hi James
We are based in West Sussex and would be happy to meet up with you sometime. We are out and about for the next couple of weekends (Petworth this weekend and Stanstead (Kent) next weekend.)
A cup of tea would be nice, but expenses not necessary. We had a 1994 Hymer as our first Motorhome, but that doesnt mean things will be the same, but the principles will be.
Colin

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
James,

I'm in Crowthorne, so not too far away.

I'm no expert and not overly technical, but I've spent a lot of recent time figuring out how my RMB works and fully appreciate your plight.

Happy to help if time allows and certainly no charge for my limited experience.

However, you'd be better off posting pictures and asking the MHFun collective as there's loads of experience on here.

Or, as said above, pop off to Newbury.

Si.

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi welcome to motorhomefun

You have had some offers of help already :thumb::thumb::thumb:

There is space at my birthday bash this weekend its not too far a journey for you. Speak to Maria or Louise so that you get the discount, you can book one night or more.

Why not use it as a trial run, run it on electric hook up and there will be some funsters to help you.

Alternatively there are going to be loads of funsters at the kent show towards end of may and its a cheap weekend

Good luck and hope to see you at a fun meet soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

james12345

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks you all very, very much for the offers of help (I'm not getting notifications of replies, so only just came back in here to look!!!)

I managed to get the lighting on last night, and with my wife's limited German we're kind of getting there. The engine battery was getting low, and the on board was flat, so they're both being charged up at the moment - I hope to make further progress this evening.

I'll also take a photo of the various switches / control panel etc and post back up for any more kind assistance.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back