Reverse polarity (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just spent two nights on a marina campsite in Uphill,Somerset.With the mains plugged in our Sargent supply unit showed up a red light stating reverse polarity.When this happens abroad I use a extra plug that has the wires reversed to bring the supply to normal and the light expires.
On this occasion it remained on ?

Now on a new campsite and all is back to normal.

Does anyone understand what was happening on that one particular campsite ?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Could the warning have been caused by a bad earth connection?

I have to say I don't bother about reversed polarity but I usually put a socket tester in the van to check for poor earth.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I have yet to see a camper that has switches on the 13 amp sockets so even with normal polarity the live wire follows right down to your appliance switch. It does stop there but when reversed polarity the whole appliance is live right round to the on off switch. Does it matter? Not if the appliance wiring does not touch something that you can touch in handling it. i.e. it is faulty in some way. The main risk in single live switched sockets as we use in the UK or indeed non switched sockets that campers use is that the plug wiring remains live as long as it is plugged in, so wiring breaks due to the flexing and general handling of the plug can result in you touching live wires.
Does anyone have switched sockets in their motorhome fitted as standard?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
No switched plugs but I bought switched adaptor for the plugs so we can switch off items if required

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
At a venue we have done several concerts at the audio mains supply is transformer isolated that brings on all sorts of lights on the distro.

Don't understand how it works but it seems to ok.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Could the warning have been [HI]caused by a bad earth connection[/HI]?

I have to say I don't bother about reversed polarity but I usually put a socket tester in the van to check for poor earth.

agreed.....this also happens a lot when using a generator.

The normal polarity circuit needs a proper earth and as the generator doesnt have a true earth so sees it as reversed polarity.

insufficient or complete lack of earth is FAR more important than reversed polarity for two reasons.

1...it protects you in an earth fault situation.....it cant if theres no earth

2...protective devices (RCD/RCBO) rely on an earth to work....it cant work if theres no earth.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
English MCB's are on the live circuit, RCD's are on both live and neutral, so if you have reversed polarity, your MCB is not working if you have a short to earth even if it is through you to earth, the RCD may still protect you but not always. If you use your home with reversed polarity you have removed one safety device. For that reason I always deal with the situation using a changeover lead I made. I don't know for sure as I have not worked in France but I have been told that their MCB's work on both live and neutral so reverse polarity not so important, but I take no chances.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have the Sargent control box in my Swift and the reverse polarity light comes on for that and also no earth. I have a tester which plugs into the internal plug sockets and gives a indication re the electricity supply i.e. no earth etc. Van hasn't blown up yet fortunately...::bigsmile:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just spent two nights on a marina campsite in Uphill,Somerset.With the mains plugged in our Sargent supply unit showed up a red light stating reverse polarity.When this happens abroad I use a extra plug that has the wires reversed to bring the supply to normal and the light expires.
On this occasion it remained on ?

Now on a new campsite and all is back to normal.

Does anyone understand what was happening on that one particular campsite ?

You get the same issue with a generator and, so I've been told, it's a lack of earth point that causes it.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
alternating current (AC) spends 50% of its time reversed anyway.....

230v+ / 0v / 230v- / 0v / 230v+.....60 times a second
This is not how ac works neutral is just that neutral, the live goes 120 above neutral then 120 below 60 times a second. At no time is any current carried along the neutral. In fact in a PME earth system the earth and neutral are linked.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This is not how ac works neutral is just that neutral, the live goes 120 above neutral then 120 below 60 times a second. At no time is any current carried along the neutral. In fact in a PME earth system the earth and neutral are linked.

i wondered how long it would take !!!!!!
Just under 2 hours :ROFLMAO:

I work with the stuff for a living. :thumb:

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They are only linked at source before the RCD or RCBO
If you put the neutral to earth or anywhere else outside of the circuit it will immediately trip the device. The most important thing is to test the device operates every time you set up somewhere new. Polarity is irrelevant unless you're going to open things up and meddle with live wires.

Last edited:

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
If it was a marina that you were camping at, and using their EHU , then it is probably an earth fault. Marinas are renowned for the problem with the main electric supplies and poor earth connections. In a number of marinas I have visited over the years with the boats there has been this problem which also causes galvanic corrosion via stray electrical currents.
Given what you've reported, when you got back to your normal site hook up and that all was well, I certainly would worry about reversing polarity devices. Hope it helps:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

first of all, the frequency in the UK is 50hz.. not 60

and the neutral conductor in an AC circuit carries the exact same current as the live ..

if you don't believe, me try a tong tester on your Live and Neutral on your domestic supply ..

if that was imbalanced it would trip the main ELCB

NO current flows in the Earth unless their is an earth fault .. which as said.. would trip the ELCB

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Okay, continuing with the thread I've been told that we have a double pole (I think - it was getting a bit too technical at this point) MCB and were told that protected in some way. Is this correct and we don't have to worry about reversed polarity?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi puddleduck, I think the reference to double pole just means the switching isolates both the live and neutral lines at the switch..
it seems to be generally agreed that as long as you are not going to be working on live appliances in your motorhome then its not really an issue.
I run a generator to charge my batteries and the tester would indicate a fault but all works ok.
discussions on the subject always get quite technical ::bigsmile: but I always enjoy reading peoples views on the subject.
regards andy

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not sure if mine are double pole or not but I would be inclined to doubt it. I will check and report back :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your main protection is not the MCB's....they are an overload device.....plug in a 15 amp appliance into a 10 amp socket and it will trip

The main protection is the RCD main switch..... if it has a test button on it, if it hasnt then its just an on/off switch and offers no protection.

In the event of a fault it will trip and all power into the van is disconnected.....and it will wotk in a reversed polarity situation.

Again....this RCD protective device will only work if an earth is present.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
This all sounds a bit dodgy to me!:Eeek:

Its a good job we haven't used hookup for over 2 years!::bigsmile:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
agreed.....this also happens a lot when using a generator.

The normal polarity circuit needs a proper earth and as the generator doesnt have a true earth so sees it as reversed polarity.

insufficient or complete lack of earth is FAR more important than reversed polarity for two reasons.

1...it protects you in an earth fault situation.....it cant if theres no earth

2...protective devices (RCD/RCBO) rely on an earth to work....it cant work if theres no earth.

A good reply from pappajon:thumb:
and all my sockets are switched

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back