Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Mobile internet

I have gift gaff in my smartphone and well pleased (seems genuinely unlimited to) but can't tether.

so

Use gift gaff data in my dongle for laptop and its terrible drops out constantly.

What are you using for mobile laptop usage?

Been looking a 3 but not sure.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
I have gift gaff in my smartphone and well pleased (seems genuinely unlimited to) but can't tether.

so

Use gift gaff data in my dongle for laptop and its terrible drops out constantly.

I don't think Giff Gaff like you to tether. a friend has it and they cut his internet off for a time ? 20 mins not sure.

I use 3 in my MiFi unit.

Oct 8, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Ravenna
Exp
newguy

I have 3 tethering costs 5 quid a month for 1 gig. I have used it in various locations and never had a problem. We both surf via our kindles and have no probs.

Good luck. Steve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

so

Get another giffgaff sim
And an O2 dongle (gg uses O2 network)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
ee

We use EE 4gb plan (£26.99 monthly) with unlimited minutes and texts including some European countries at no extra costs for the calls and texts but not the data.
We tether laptops and kindles and find 4gb covers ok for one month.Also have the wife phone shared on to the same plan so only one mobile phone bill.
We get coverage when our sons Giff Gaff does not.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have the giff gaff in my phone and really great but they know straight off if you tether and as said a 20 min disconnection:cry:

Then i have a seperate giff gaff card for data in a dongle. Its rubbish though:Doh:

Been looking a 3 all you can eat card for phone 200 mins all you can eat data for phone and 2gb tethering data. £12.99.

Decision:shout:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have the eat all you can (if you get a signal) 3 on our router.. Works OK.. Both our phones are 4g too and can be used if required

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I assume that you are using a goodybag? If so then any that have unlimited data do not allow tethering. Any with limited data (so the £7.50 and £10 goodybags and all the gigabags) allow tethering. If you click on the more info button for each goodybag it clearly tells you whether or not tethering is permitted.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

so

Hi John!

We had the same problem last year JJ and I when in the UK . JJ had a giffgaff but could not tether.... which of course annoyed me to such a point JJ had to find some place for me to buy my own sim card:Blush::RollEyes:

But I was with Rex and Marie (PenelopePitstop) last week end and Rex told me he could tether with his giffgaff sim card . So may be you could PM him for more info, assuming they have internet to answer as they are on they way back to the UK!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Just got a new mifi on contract with 3 as the pay as you go one was working out too expensive at £25 for 7GB for 30 days as we use a bit more so instead of topping up 12 times a year we probably topped up 14/15 times.

The new unit gives 15GB for £21.10 per month.
It seems to get better reception and is faster than the old one

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a warning about '3' ... Carphone Warehouse said they don't stock any products of theirs now due to the problems they've had with them not being able to provide a service, with loads of complaints from customers etc. We were in the CW shop again today (don't ask!) and found out that '3' were the first major mobile broadband provider and as a consequence their masts are now severely degraded as they need replacing which is why there are so many problems. so if you are thinking of going with 3 get them to check the state of the mast in your area, the one near us is severely degraded and has been for a long time, hence why we've had to buy a third 30-day data sim from another provider to be able to use the internet! Hopefully by the time we return from holiday in early July it the '3' network will be usable again ... well ... we can dream can't we! :RollEyes:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just a warning about '3' ... and found out that '3' were the first major mobile broadband provider and as a consequence their masts are now severely degraded as they need replacing which is why there are so many problems....

I experienced this with 3 too. I was with them for several years. In my area the service became so bad I could't even get a phone signal never mind data.

The other thing to remember with 3 is that if you do have a problem their customer service level varies from blindly incompetent to maliciously unhelpful :Doh:

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
What is tethering?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What is tethering?
It is when you use your mobile phones data allowance and literally link your laptop/tablet etc to it to utilise the data, depending on the phone you may have to physically attach it with a 'tether' (ie a cable, hence the name) or do it by creating a wifi 'hotspot' with your phone to which you connect your table/laptop wirelessly.

Most mobile phone sim providers won't allow you to connect another item (ie laptop/tablet) as you tend to use up a lot more data that way, so unless your mobile phone sim provider allows for tethering you need to find another way to connect to the internet from your laptop/tablet ... however the android app mentioned above may be an option.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sometimes yes depending on your service provider but as Minx said you need to be careful of your data allowance - a mobile phone data allowance is designed to provide for normal use on a mobile phone. It won't last very long at all if you start doing data heavy things i.e. streaming video (Youtube etc) on something with a big screen like a tablet or laptop. Where service providers don't let you tether it is to stop you doing this, not realising, using colossal amounts of data and ending up with a huge bill.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
maybe im being stupid here but why do people need such large amounts of data to use in the uk surely you all have home bb to use wen at home ?

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Have had a Vodafone contract for a few years. Started with iphone, went to Samsung for a couple of years and have just gone back to iphone. Having purchased the new iphone outright, I was negotiating a sim only deal with Vodafone to stay with them.

At some point during the many conversations with retentions one of them said "and of course tethering is included". When I queried this he said "yes, all of our iphone contracts allow tethering for free". So basically, as my original contract was a iphone contract (and still is), I could have been tethering from my phone (including the Samsung) for the last few years but didn`t know it.

Can`t remember ever knowing about this, so not sure if it is something they keep quiet about.

So if you are on a iphone contract with Vodafone even if you no longer have a iphone, tethering should be free. But check with them before you start using it, just to make sure.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i cant imagine it not being free because although unlimited data its really not unlimited as the fair user policy kicks in and some companies charge if you go over that so allowing someone to use their data quicker is in the companies (that charge)favour

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Havnt read all the posts on here, but would like to add , for what it's worth, as I'm only interested in wifi abroad as im fixed up for here, O2 works in Europe right away and costs £1.99 a day it says unlimited , I have no way of confirming this , but iv never run out, BUT you can tether, no probs, I know it's not the cheapest but it works, 3 also works well and only costs £15 a month unlimited, but it won't tether.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back