Aires adjacent to sites (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello all, I am familiar with the concept of the Aire system and have used a couple, one just outside a village in a dark uninviting layby, the other a beautiful location next to a river right in a town centre, we intend to keep trying this as an overnight option

The thing I now seem to see a lot is an aire immediately outside a site, I really do not understand this, quite often the out of season price is about the same

I presume the aire is run by the site owner, or it is municipal as most are I think, why would you create a cheap aire outside a site and lose revenue

It seems too good not to use, but am I missing something? I makes perfect sense where there is no facility already, but otherwise, why?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The aire is usually provided by the town or village and if it is popular and often full I'd expect it came naturally that a privateer might open a site adjacent and reep the benefit.
During off season if it is open all year then it would be forced to compete at the lower prices.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There is one like this south of Tours just off the main N10..

We used the campsite one summer when travelling with friends and visited Tours.
Later we used the free aire parking outside the gates during a winter trip and the site was closed. It seems a bit strange but the French certainly do cater for motorhomes..

Vendomme is similar, further up the N10... Nice riverside campsite with 6 free parking spaces outside..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The answer might be as simple as the aire is open all year, where as the site might close

Most of the examples I have seen, the aire is very much the new addition to an existing site

If both are municipal it make no odds I guess

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The answer might be as simple as the aire is open all year, where as the site might close

Most of the examples I have seen, the aire is very much the new addition to an existing site

If both are municipal it make no odds I guess

water is usually turned off on Aires during winter mths.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Hi Davidg58

I just posted this - Broken Link Removed - before I saw your post.

A lot of camp sites realize they will not get any motorhomes because most prefer to use aires. So, to compete they will often have an aire outside the campsite to attract motorhomes and generate a bit more money. However, motorhomers will often use all the campsite facilities including showers so they get the benefit of a campsite at aire prices!

This particular site has a few vacant plots so the owners have decided to try and attract some of the ever growing population of motorhomes especially as some popular aires are often full by early afternoon!:Smile:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi Davidg58

I just posted this - Broken Link Removed - before I saw your post.

A lot of camp sites realize they will not get any motorhomes because most prefer to use aires. So, to compete they will often have an aire outside the campsite to attract motorhomes and generate a bit more money. However, motorhomers will often use all the campsite facilities including showers so they get the benefit of a campsite at aire prices!

This particular site has a few vacant plots so the owners have decided to try and attract some of the ever growing population of motorhomes especially as some popular aires are often full by early afternoon!:Smile:

Thanks for that, it is getting a bit clearer, but this example @ 12 euros for the aire, must be pretty much the same as the ACSI out of season rate for using the site

But the high season aire rate must be very good value on the same comparison

I think part of my lack of understanding has been that we only go out of season :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back