Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
I'm looking to purchase one very soon hopefully, I would just like to ask your opinions on them, i.e battery life wi-fi and or 3g versions or do you just use mobile hotspots form your mobile phone when on the road, oh and what sort of prices should I expect to pay for say a 16g and up. Many thanks in advance:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Our household has an IPad 1, 2 and 3.

I think the iPad2 is the best of the 3. Longer battery life and slightly lighter.

I have 3G on mine but I rarely use it, so I wouldn't bother again.

Abroad we use them in free hotspots and on sites using the iboost system.

I have got a mifi somewhere but I have never used one.

Not sure on price. Check out Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco etc.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Elaine has my old iPad 2 that she loves and bought a galaxy 2 and can't get on with at all I can't fault it just done like it
So I am now on iPad aire bought for my 60 birthday and it like welcome home to long lost pal
so as soon as figure out a way to get my tom-tom of its goodbye galaxy
And no I dare not ask price :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Buy a bigger memory one... I know it costs but if you take it away with you, then you can load up more films, music, books etc..
Can easily fill a 16gb one.. The apps are also becoming larger in file size and that can eat away at memory....

I dont have a 3g version, instead use wifi via a hotspot on my phone. When abroad I take a MIFI and use sim card in country..

LOVE MINE.. !!!!

Not sure on prices, keep a watch on ebay and CEX

Last edited:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Very nice.

The Samsung Galaxy will outperform it. Better camera, battery, screen apps.... It's a great bit of kit. Something like the Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 for example!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
iboost

Our household has an IPad 1, 2 and 3.

I think the iPad2 is the best of the 3. Longer battery life and slightly lighter.

I have 3G on mine but I rarely use it, so I wouldn't bother again.

Abroad we use them in free hotspots and on sites using the iboost system.

I have got a mifi somewhere but I have never used one.

Not sure on price. Check out Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco etc.

Whats the iboost system please?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Whats the iboost system please?

Its the one made by motorhomewifi.

Have a search, there have been quite a few positive reviews of it on here.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Very nice.

The Samsung Galaxy will outperform it. Better camera, battery, screen apps.... It's a great bit of kit. Something like the Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 for example!

I love all things Samsung, but IMO the tab is streets behind even the iPad1. Not used a tablet yet that comes even close to the ipad for useability and I've used a few.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I love all things Samsung, but IMO the tab is streets behind even the iPad1. Not used a tablet yet that comes even close to the ipad for useability and I've used a few.

I agree. The ipad is the first and only computer gadget that I have understood how to use.

Perfect for what I use it for which is just web browsing and emails.

My father in law had a Kindle Fire HD and whilst it looked nice it was a pain to actually use.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Cant agree with you there mate.

I spent a couple of years working as a technology trainer, and my speciality was working with the over 60's who knew nothing about it - complete novices. I trained on all the latest gizmos, all the ipads, most tabs, so I know them all pretty well. I would go with Android every time. Especially if you have a windows PC.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I have an iPad 2 and love it.

Mine's got its own SIM but I rarely use the data.

I'm switching (with Vodafone) to a 4G plan soon and that comes with an additional SIM as an incentive, so that's how I'll go. Delete the current iPad only SIM and insert the extra doppleganger iPhone SIM into my iPad. Easier than using my phone as a hotspot.

The iPad is very easy to use. Clare has the Mini version but I think the full size model is better.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Cant agree with you there mate.

I spent a couple of years working as a technology trainer, and my speciality was working with the over 60's who knew nothing about it - complete novices. I trained on all the latest gizmos, all the ipads, most tabs, so I know them all pretty well. I would go with Android every time. Especially if you have a windows PC.

Each to their own but we are deffo over 60 and have always used windows, we got an Android and after much toil gave it away. Just bought an I Pad Air mainly for extended battery life when off hook up and we both love it. We just find it so simple after what we consider to be silly Android

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I wonder how they refurb an iPad. What do they actually do, except clean it ? They say the battery holds charge, but is not guaranteed. :Nowink:

That one's a bit confusing. As I understand it, Apple refurbs always get new batteries - not surprising since many are iPads that have been returned to have the batteries replaced and I believe Apple don't return the same item to the owner, they just send out a refurb with a new battery. So there's a stock of cleaned/tested iPads with new batteries, some held back for battery replacements and some put on sale online.

The Tesco one in question says "manufacturer refurbished" but doesn't guarantee maximum battery life :Confused:. 3G + 64GB for £70 less than Apple mind you.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Each to their own but we are deffo over 60 and have always used windows, we got an Android and after much toil gave it away. Just bought an I Pad Air mainly for extended battery life when off hook up and we both love it. We just find it so simple after what we consider to be silly Android

That's interesting to know any way. My dad has an ipad and loves it too.

OP
OP
Builder147

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Thank you all for your comments :Smile:. Just 1 more question, how do you charge your iPad in your m/h? when not on ehu. Is there a 12v charger you can get somewhere? Many thanks again.:Smile:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you all for your comments :Smile:. Just 1 more question, how do you charge your iPad in your m/h? when not on ehu. Is there a 12v charger you can get somewhere? Many thanks again.:Smile:

Yes you can use a USB adaptor that plugs into the 12v sockets although be aware that it will not charge quickly as the adaptors are nearly all lower power than the wall socket adaptor.

We have several iPads and have to say that I like the Mini just for battery and weight, when traveling it's big enough.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
usb in the cigarette lighter same as my i phone

try one at an apple shop before you buy

they will spend as long as you like explaining things

there seems little difference in price

at high street shops or pc world type shops

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Get one you can put a sim in. I use mine in France (SFR) Germany (vodaphone) orange in Spain.

Lin

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My iPhone 12v charger doesn't work with the iPad.

You can get a more powerful one though. My wife has got one but I don't know where she got it from..

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

You can get a more powerful one though. My wife has got one but I don't know where she got it from..

It probably does unless it's a very old iPhone ?

My guess it says "Not Charging" but if you leave it long enough it will charge it, just slooooowly

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We both have iPad II's but woman just plays games on hers, and to be honest I do not do much more.
I find it awkward and clumsy in the way it handles web stuff, I cannot easily write reports on it, and all these sodding constant requests for passwords every time I want to download anything is driving me nuts.

The Galaxy II though... Love it !

As for advice, get the highest spec one you can afford.
Why ?
Cos right now you may not need a lot of ram, you might not need 3G, you might not need much of anything.. But I learned a long time ago.. Murphy's Law dictates absolutely that you WILL need whatever you have not got at some time in the future !

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

IPad 3 and up need a charger with an output of 5volts and 2 amps, most generic chargers are only 1 amp. The 2amp output car chargers tend to get a bit warm in use, ok but don't leave them unattended.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That is so true.. Which is why we stuck with the II
I use a half decent 12v to USB cigar socket plug to charge the pads up, not one of those that has a cigar plug on one end and the iPad plug on tother.. They are always cheap and nasty...

OP
OP
Builder147

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
That is so true.. Which is why we stuck with the II
I use a half decent 12v to USB cigar socket plug to charge the pads up, not one of those that has a cigar plug on one end and the iPad plug on tother.. They are always cheap and nasty...

You haven't got a link for the sort you have Jaws have you by any chance? :winky:

Sift

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2014 :O
Just some thoughts:

- I have the old 60GB iPad1 bought in 2010. Many newer apps will not work on it now. For this reason I would go for the newest iPad. That said, it depends on what you will be using it for, whether you would rather pay less and perhaps upgrade more often and other variables.

- I have 600+ books (probably 593 still to be read), 31 photos, 45 applications and 12 movies on the device which has used up all of ~14GB. 58.1GB real capacity, 44.3GB left.

- Agree that Apple devices are intuitive - I thought that was their selling point. For me I'll take Android and the freedom that comes with it.

- You don't have to use iTunes with Android, which is a massive plus for me.

- Once you buy into Apple in terms of spending on devices and apps then you're hooked as you can't use the apps on other devices. Android is the OS of choice for many devices so you can usually upgrade / migrate without worrying.

Cheers,
Lee.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Just some thoughts:

- I have the old 60GB iPad1 bought in 2010. Many newer apps will not work on it now. For this reason I would go for the newest iPad. That said, it depends on what you will be using it for, whether you would rather pay less and perhaps upgrade more often and other variables.

- I have 600+ books (probably 593 still to be read), 31 photos, 45 applications and 12 movies on the device which has used up all of ~14GB. 58.1GB real capacity, 44.3GB left.

- Agree that Apple devices are intuitive - I thought that was their selling point. For me I'll take Android and the freedom that comes with it.

- You don't have to use iTunes with Android, which is a massive plus for me.

-[HI] Once you buy into Apple in terms of spending on devices and apps then you're hooked as you can't use the apps on other devices. [/HI]Android is the OS of choice for many devices so you can usually upgrade / migrate without worrying.

Cheers,
Lee.

Sorry to disagree with you but I have an iPad 3 and also a Kindle, I read books on my Kindle outdoors (which is the Kindles strength) and with the Kindle app being syncronised with my pad can switch seamlessly to the book I am reading in bed without having to have the lights on:thumb:

Tmesis

Free Member
Mar 28, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
I would go with Android every time. Especially if you have a windows PC.

Well if you use a Windows PC you are already used to cumbersome arcane and bug-ridden rubbish that needs security updates every week. An Apple just does the job without fuss and without having to fight with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back