Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
For about 10 years now, ffiona and I have always used a Lloyds Visa card for transactions and ATM's whilst on our anual holidays in France without any problems. I think the whole wolrd must understand and accept Visa?
Our card is due for renewal now and we go to France in three weeks time! :Doh:........TYPICAL!!!!!! :RollEyes:

Trouble is, Lloyds are telling us that they've dropped Visa and are offering us either American Express or MasterCard.

I'm worried that these cards are as widely accepted in France and am considering approaching a different bank so that I can get a Visa card.

Am I over-reacting and worrying for nothing?
Have people had any problems in France with American Express or MasterCard?

Any info much appreciated.

Ta :D

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We opened an account with nationwide just to get their Debit and Credit cards which do not charge for ATM transactions. It was painless and opened via the internet we got the cards inside a week.

Amex is hardly accepted anywhere these days, as for Mastercard, its as widespread as Visa, if they accept Visa then they will almost always accept mastercard as well.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
We opened an account with nationwide just to get their Debit and Credit cards which do not charge for ATM transactions. It was painless and opened via the internet we got the cards inside a week.

At the risk of sounding flippant, the charges dont bother me. The card will only EVER be used in France and USUALLY for ATM's as we prefer to draw and pay cash for security reasons. All I need to know is will a French ATM swallow an American Express or Mastercard and tell me to begger off!::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You will be OK with Mastercard, I think its as common as Visa these days

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008
Mastercard is pretty much accepted anywhere that Visa is around the world but American Express is a little more difficult at times.

We also have taken advantage of the Nationwide Credit Card and Debit Card (with their FlexAccount) as there is no overseas transaction charge on the credit card and you can withdraw cash from the ATM (subject to usual daily limits and sufficient funds in your account) anywhere in the world with the debit card without charge.

Hope this helps

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Have had a Mastercard for many years & used all over Europe without any problems.:thumb:

As Jim said "Amex is hardly accepted anywhere these days, as for Mastercard, its as widespread as Visa, if they accept Visa then they will almost always accept mastercard as well."

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thanks guys, very much appreciated.
Cant wait now, especially as i didn't think we'd get back there this year.::bigsmile:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Same here.

We draw €200 at a time, and if we need any more on the same day, :whatthe: :whatthe::whatthe: then Rita uses her card. :winky:

Other than on a Sunday,(pay booth closed), we pay for fuel, using the credit card. The automated pumps don't like UK credit cards. Hopefully that will change in due time.

Jock.

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
We use our Mastercard all over France and have no problems.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi we use our Nationwide Credit Card in france, it's the only one we have not had a problem with in the Auto petrol pumps, about 20 years ago we did get our visa card stuck in one. In the UK we use the Tesco Credit card (Visa) and get the extra club card points, every little help's when you need to get the van to France:roflmto: Bob.

bsb2000

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
Barlby, Selby
Funster No
The automated pumps don't like UK credit cards

On a slightly differant note, we called at the L'eclerc at Bolouge for fuel (HGV pumps), the first pump wouldn't take our card so we tried the next one, after a short while and with no fuel dispensed it spat the card out and said transaction refused !!!

We weren't deperate for fuel so moved on, when we stopped for lunch Jacqui decided to ring 'Capital One' in the UK and check that our cards were O.K.................... They said they had just declined a transaction at the L'eclerc because it was over our limit (We only have a small limit and had already used it several times) after explaining that we hadn't got any fuel they said all was O.K. and suggested that somehow a truck must have filled and got away without paying so the next card got the bill :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

Ian

Last edited:
V

vanessa

Deleted User
The automated pumps don't like UK credit cards. Hopefully that will change in due time.

In due time? Don't hold your breath!!:RollEyes: Apart from some of the fuel stations right near the ferry ports, even new fuel stations do not accept UK cards, credit or debit, across the vast majority of France.

This is for the AUTOMATED pumps only ... pay someone in the kiosk during opening hours, and you won't have a problem anywhere. Plus, if you don't mind paying the premium for your fuel, the Aires on motorways are always manned, 24/7.

Ian, that was VERY unlucky, but I really don't know how it could have happened! The automated pumps require a card to be put in before fuelling can begin, including PIN. Strange indeed ... but glad you didn't get charged!

bsb2000

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
Barlby, Selby
Funster No
We were dumfounded too, luckily there was no one there to stop us driving off.

Maybe somebody on here has an explanation.

Ian

Brenintot

Free Member
Jul 24, 2008
Cwmbran, South Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1980
I have taken out a Caravan Club Visa Credit card this year as the Autoroute Peage toll operators would not accept Mastercard last summer. I used my new Visa card at the 24/24 automatic Intermarche supermarche Fuel stations including Sundays.

We didn't use the Peage at all this year due to the cost & stuck to the N roads instead, Slower & plenty of roundabouts but as we are under 3.5t no problems going through towns.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We used mastercard on the autoroutes thius year with no problem. They will not accept debit cards however. I don't know what happened to Visa but two of my cards were Visa when I took them out, so as to have both, and have subsequently changed to Mastercard.

We have had problems with the automatic pumps with almost any card, the secret is not to fill up at lunchtime when the attendants all clear off for several hours.:Sad:

V

vanessa

Deleted User
The only cards NOT accepted on the peages are the "electron" type basic debit cards, and American Express.

We generally use either my Mastercard or my husband's Nationwide debit card, and have never had any problems. Where possible, I use the automated lanes, too, so if you go through the manned boothes (as I believe you need to with a motorhome?) there certainly should not be a problem with either.

I can say, hand-on-heart, that with either a Visa or Mastercard in your wallet, you will not have problems anywhere in France ... EXCEPT unmanned fuel pumps (and obviously those places that simply don't take cards).

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
I regularly use a Co-operative Visa card and an Abbey Zero Mastercard at autoprepay pumps in France (I live in France 6/12 months) and have never had a single problem with either. But I have had a problem in Belgium when neither of them worked at the pump, however there was no difficulty paying at the kiosk.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Said it before, Say it again. Two weeks touring France Paying continuously with Master card and no problems at all.:ROFLMAO:
Honest:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back