Cat Converter stolen from my Auto Trail Tracker RS (1 Viewer)

HappyCamper26

Free Member
May 12, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker RS
Exp
MH Newbie
Hi All,

I'm new on the forum and quite new to Motor Homing in general.

However, I've recently had my Cat Converter stolen from my (almost) new Fiat ducato based Auto Trail Tracker RS which has cost over £1k to replace :Doh:

I wanted to a) warn other MHers and b) let you know what you can do about it.

I looked at a few of these protection devices on the market through various web sites and being a bit of a hobby engineer I wanted to tackle the solution from an engineering point of view.

The first I looked at was the Catclamp, but dismissed it because of it's complicated looking nature and the poor security offered by the steel cables (pair of bolt cutters will go through these). The second was an Armacat, which again I dismissed because of the cables.

Becoming somewhat miffed at so many companies using cables, I found one more - Catloc that said - "yes we do have some devices that use cables, but our specific product for the Fiat Ducato uses high security chain"

I then also noticed there was a discount offer through the Caravan Club web site.

I thought great :thumb:

Ordered it the other Thursday and it was with me the following day. Took me 20 mins to fit (I have some nice ramps to use) and even came with a marking system for the new replacement Cat which you then register online with the International Security Register.

Great service, easy to fit, looks very smart with the chain having a high visibility green sleeving and Catloc even said they offer refitting kits should the Cat / Exhaust need to be removed for maintenance. This should save some extra pennies over having to buy a whole new product in the future.

Now, I'm not daft enough to think that it would definitely stop a thief if very determined, but at least they would probably choose not to attack it if there was an easier target down the road.

Highly recommended by me if you have had a Cat theft or are concerned about it.:thumb:

OP
OP
H

HappyCamper26

Free Member
May 12, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker RS
Exp
MH Newbie
First post and advertising.

Plus ca change.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm certainly not advertising, just sharing my experiences.

Only just came across this forum and am keen to be involved and help other MHers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Only just came across this forum and am keen to be involved and help other MHers.

If you'd taken the trouble to introduce yourself first you would look a whole lot more credible. We get a stream of first posts all with an agenda. Usually slagging off a dealer or service. Sometimes advertising pure and simple which is how your first post comes across. Last week it was a moron trying to frighten us to death with a scare post about leaking gas tanks.

Treat this place as a pub. If you walked into a pub ans shouted "I've just fitted a chain from Catloc, they are great" you'd get some odd looks. If you walked in and said "Hi I'm Henry, this looks a good pub, I'm thirsty" it would be so different, you might even get a free pint.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well said Brian, although in this case I think the OP meant well:thumb:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Iagree with Broken Link Removed it does look like advertising.......most people use the newbie way not hit us straight with a buy this item s**t.....:Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I'm sorry to disagree with revered regulars, but I think HappyCamper's original post looks simply like a new Funster trying to be helpful - nothing more. There is nothing like infectious enthusiasm for prompting one to pitch in and try to join in by being helpful from the start - well done and welcome.

We really are a friendly lot so hope you stay around to benefit from a great forum.

Although I don't have to worry about Cat theft - pre-cat diesel (and no moggy at home) - thanks for taking the trouble to offer advice to those who may benefit from your experiences. :Smile:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I agree with JeanLuc, BTW happy camper, welcome to the forum
:thumb:

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Theft of Cat Converter

I have also been a victim of this (three times)then a fellow camper owner pointed out why have the cat on the van at all. Took some advice and yes for £80 I had a piece of pipe work made and put on the van. Yes the MOT people said thats fine as it passed the smoke test.and it is not a requirement to have a Cat Converter so for the last two years I am happy that I am:Smile: not going to come back and find it missing,

Give it some thought

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
New member has copied / pasted the exact same post to Facts
:RollEyes:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi Happycamper and welcome to the Fun! :welcomefunster:

Also agree with Jean Luc's comments! :thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi All,

I'm new on the forum and quite new to Motor Homing in general.

However, I've recently had my Cat Converter stolen from my (almost) new Fiat ducato based Auto Trail Tracker RS which has cost over £1k to replace :Doh:

I wanted to a) warn other MHers and b) let you know what you can do about it.

I looked at a few of these protection devices on the market through various web sites and being a bit of a hobby engineer I wanted to tackle the solution from an engineering point of view.

The first I looked at was the Catclamp, but dismissed it because of it's complicated looking nature and the poor security offered by the steel cables (pair of bolt cutters will go through these). The second was an Armacat, which again I dismissed because of the cables.

Becoming somewhat miffed at so many companies using cables, I found one more - Catloc that said - "yes we do have some devices that use cables, but our specific product for the Fiat Ducato uses high security chain"

I then also noticed there was a discount offer through the Caravan Club web site.

I thought great :thumb:

Ordered it the other Thursday and it was with me the following day. Took me 20 mins to fit (I have some nice ramps to use) and even came with a marking system for the new replacement Cat which you then register online with the International Security Register.

Great service, easy to fit, looks very smart with the chain having a high visibility green sleeving and Catloc even said they offer refitting kits should the Cat / Exhaust need to be removed for maintenance. This should save some extra pennies over having to buy a whole new product in the future.

Now, I'm not daft enough to think that it would definitely stop a thief if very determined, but at least they would probably choose not to attack it if there was an easier target down the road.

Highly recommended by me if you have had a Cat theft or are concerned about it.:thumb:
I don't have a cat but I do have a dog I agree with Brian:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As I park on my drive, I've just built the ground up underneath and around the cat. Just need to make sure clearances are OK and job done.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
"I can't weigh you out for that van full cats until I've run them all through the International Security Register"

or

"Yeah sling in in that container it'll be off tomorrow"

If mine is stolen I will replace it with a length of pipe.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I say flog him till a whisker of his life, then hang him....

Hang on, can I interest you in some magic beans..

I thin benefit of doubt on this one...

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have also been a victim of this (three times)then a fellow camper owner pointed out why have the cat on the van at all. Took some advice and yes for £80 I had a piece of pipe work made and put on the van. Yes the MOT people said thats fine as it passed the smoke test.and it is not a requirement to have a Cat Converter so for the last two years I am happy that I am:Smile: not going to come back and find it missing,

Give it some thought

Better think about putting back then :RollEyes:
Its now a failure

"I can't weigh you out for that van full cats until I've run them all through the International Security Register"

or

"Yeah sling in in that container it'll be off tomorrow"

If mine is stolen I will replace it with a length of pipe.

Dont do it see above:RollEyes:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Better think about putting back then :RollEyes:
Its now a failure

Dont do it see above:RollEyes:

What is needed is a CAT hire center.
Hire for a week , get through the MOT , return until needed next year.:ROFLMAO:

Or, they ought to make of some type of cheaper materials.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
alarmed cat

i have had an in line alarm fitted through my standard system since new also aluminium cover with sharp edges if u try to cut through pipe alarm [breaking of in line alarm sensor] will go off have notices of alarms imobilised and tracker fitted also no plate on roof,but such is life if some scumbag wants it they will try and get it,my tacker will inform me if anything interferes with system,can locate 24/7 will let me now where it is and if it moves from within a geo fence my drive,

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
QUOTE=g8ysn;1008397]i have had an in line alarm fitted through my standard system since new also aluminium cover with sharp edges if u try to cut through pipe alarm [breaking of in line alarm sensor] will go off have notices of alarms imobilised and tracker fitted also no plate on roof,but such is life if some scumbag wants it they will try and get it,my tacker will inform me if anything interferes with system,can locate 24/7 will let me now where it is and if it moves from within a geo fence on my drive,[/QUOTE]

These geo fences I put up for £50 each, you can't see em but they are there, payment via Paypal.
Fence sent an installed by satelite :thumb:
Geo:winky:

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
OP joined the other side today too to post exactly the same tale. Will he cough up on both one tother or neither :ROFLMAO:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
i have had an in line alarm fitted through my standard system since new also aluminium cover with sharp edges if u try to cut through pipe alarm [breaking of in line alarm sensor] will go off have notices of alarms imobilised and tracker fitted also no plate on roof,but such is life if some scumbag wants it they will try and get it,my tacker will inform me if anything interferes with system,can locate 24/7 will let me now where it is and if it moves from within a geo fence my drive,

Could you give a website for this in line (CAT?) alarm? Very interested.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

Problem is, chains are easier to cut through than multi strand cables. There is a guy on Youtube cutting through Thatcham approved motorcycle chain locks in seconds, makes a mockery of the security ratings.
I have an Armacat on mine, the cable is routed through the suspension and there isn't enough room or clearance to get long bolt cutters underneath , even if you jack the van up.
Sometimes its the way things are used that make them effective.
And, if the cat gets successfully stolen, Armacat will replace the device.

Allan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Catloc that said - "yes we do have [HI]some[/HI] devices that use cables, but our specific product for the Fiat Ducato uses high security chain"

it appears the op doesnt know his cable from his chain.

This is the only one shown on the website.....no mention of a chain version.

And no contact address....only a none area 0845 number

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As I park on my drive, I've just built the ground up underneath and around the cat. Just need to make sure clearances are OK and job done.

I've always thought this to be the easiest way to protect the cat.. A railway sleeper or similar...
Can't do if on our drive but it's a great idea

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back