May 11, 2014
WALLASEY
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi everyone,

We've just bought our first campervan which is a Mercedes Sprinter conversion. It came with a Pyramid Columbus Superlite awning which we've assembled with no problems, but we're at a loss as to how it attaches to the van.

I've attached two images of the van and was wondering if someone with more expertise can tell us by looking at the pics if we're needing any modifications to the outside of the van before we can use the awning.

Thanks for your help.
Katie

P1010394_zps2dc4d104.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I think you will find your awning is a drive away type, rather than fix to the van it is free standing with a link top sheet which probably throws over the top of the van and pegs down the other side

OP
OP
L

Linfordmobile

Free Member
May 11, 2014
WALLASEY
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
That makes an awful lot of sense now! Thanks for your help. I shall look forward to trying it out properly next weekend. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
That makes an awful lot of sense now! Thanks for your help. I shall look forward to trying it out properly next weekend. ::bigsmile:

No worries, if you do a Google search for the awning you will find some pictures enough to get a general idea:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
an easy, strong, cheap way of connecting a driveaway that actually allows you to easily detach and drive off site without dropping the awning or messing with straps/ropes is to add an awning rail and a kador strip adaptor

basically fit a C channel to the side of the van above the door. these can be sourced on eBay for not very much. then you buy the kit which includes a double sided awning bead and a figure of 8 plastic section. slide the strip into the awning rail, then use the figure 8 to connect the driveaway.

as i say, very quick and simple to use. the C channel can either be glued on with sikaflex or screwed on to the van

Broken Link Removed £23

Broken Link Removed £15

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi, welcome to the fun house! ::bigsmile:

Below is the awning you have:

http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/25349.html

You can see in the below picture it 'eating' a camper! :RollEyes:

I'd see how you get on with throwing over the straps first as that might well suit you best as you will be able to get the tunnel (the part that goes from the awning to the van) nice and taught, something that you may have difficulty with if you have a fixed rail judging by some of the photos I've found on the web.

Attachments

• pyramid columbus awning.JPG
    pyramid columbus awning.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 67

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
With our first tin top we used to fit the awning bead into the guttering but I can't recall how it was held in situ.

Our Drive away is fixed using the Kador strip and the roll out faceplate. As you don't have a roll out then you could try and fix the 8 strip to the van guttering or fix a C rail to the side of the van like a Caravan. You can now buy the Kador strip in continuous lengths rather than the 30" strips previously sold. Be careful as there are size variations.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When we were at Chester, we were parked near some VW's, one near us had what looked like a great idea for securing the guy ropes that would go over the van in your case

He used dent pullers, bought from Screw Fix, a suction device, looked like they held really tight, the guy ropes then tied to these, he fitted his just above the door, your' MH might be too high for this, but they could fit on the opposite side

We are getting some for use inside our garage as fixing

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
L

Linfordmobile

Free Member
May 11, 2014
WALLASEY
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello folks,

Sorry not been online to say thanks for your input; as it's GCSE season at school, I've been mega busy, but now it's half-term!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. You've certainly given us plenty of options to think about. I shall post some more pics when we've settled on the way to attach the awning. :Smile:

Katie

automedon

Free Member
Mar 22, 2013
Huddersfield West Yorks.
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter convers
Exp
3 yrs
Awning problems

you need an AWNING GUTTERING, easy to buy on ebay, easy to fit on van side (make sure you get the height correct before fixing) and don't do what we did when we took our 'Liverpool Girl' on our very first trip to the Yorkshire Dales, we struggled for over 2 hours with our newly acquired awning much to the amusement and entertainment of nearby Funsters 'till one kind person quietly informed us that we were getting it wrong simply because we were trying to put it on INSIDE OUT!!

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Again from Screwfix, I use plate glass lifters / carriers.
Essentially the same as the dent pullers, but with two suction pads connected by a handle.
Gives that bit more bite.

Either way, easier than farting about with tent pegs.

OP
OP
L

Linfordmobile

Free Member
May 11, 2014
WALLASEY
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've just gone and ordered a pair of double suction lifters off Ebay.

As someone in an earlier post mentioned, the tunnel on this particular model of awning looks quite baggy, so I think the suction lifters, along with the guy ropes, might be our best bet.

Thanks for all your help.

Katie :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back