UK: 8gb data for a month ... for free ... (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No, I'm not kidding ... I've just done it today!!! :yeah:

Due to the terrible '3' mobile broadband we've got due to problems with the masts in our area and that it won't be resolved until at least the end of June :Eeek: we went into town to get another 30-day T-mobile broadband sim to ensure we have some form of internet for when we can't use '3' at all. Last month we got 5gb which ran out yesterday so were intending to get it again however when we went in to the 'EE' shop to buy it the deal had finished and the only ones available were the 4G ones (or 3G if you don't have it in your area) at a vastly hiked price! Last month's 5gb cost us £15, but now to get 3gb was £16 or £21 for 5gb ... this is despite the fact that we do NOT have 4g here. :Angry:

We decided not to get it so popped into the Carphone Warehouse shop nearby and while the chap there went to have a shuftie of what was on offer I had a mooch around the shop and noticed a sign for:

• 8gb data @ £26 on a 30 day rolling contract with £26 cashback (ie first month free)
  • the cashback would be done straight away via our debit card
  • we could cancel it at any time, giving the requisite 30 days notice
So I asked about the offer:

Me: "What if signed up for it now, would I have to keep it for more than 30 days?"

Him: "No - you can ring up and cancel it at any time and it would stop 30 days later."

Me: "So, in effect I could get 8gb of mobile broadband for a month for NOTHING!"

Him: "Well, yes I suppose you could!" he said with a bemused smile as it dawned on him.

Broken Link Removed

Even if we decided not to cancel it straight away and keep it for a couple of months it would still mean we could get 2 x 30 days of 8gb data for the equivalent of £13 a month - as we are going on holiday in June we wouldn't need it longer than that anyway.

Needless to say I got a sim there and then! :thumb:

The offer is something that Carphone Warehouse are doing as the cashback is from them, not EE, so when I rang up EE to cancel there wasn't a problem at all.::bigsmile: The credit from Carphone Warehouse has been credited back to us but we won't actually pay the one-off £26 until about 2 weeks from now!!!!

Hubby has been having a go with it in our Huawei E5776 4g enabled MIFI and its been flying!!!! :clap:

If anyone else is interested, then pop along to your Carphone Warehouse shop, don't get it on-line as the deal appears to be different to the ones on offer in the shop.

Also, please DOUBLE CHECK before you buy that the deal is exactly the same just in case they've closed the 'loop-hole'! :RollEyes:

Last edited:

Chris69

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
If you are looking for data sim for UK use take a look at Giffgaff. They do goody bags for phones and giga bags for data.
There is no contract it is PAYG.
Credit lasts 1 month and you only top up when you want to. If you are not on the road no need to top up.
Uses O2 network.
Chris

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have used giffgaff and for most of the time i couldnt get a signal so i wouldnt recommend them i still use my t mobile sim when at meets and i normally get 3days for £4 it works as a buy 2 days get 1 free :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought an Orange SIM in December to use if there was no Three signal. I've been having account problems since February, wasting both time and money on support calls.

I've just been told by Orange customer (lack of) support that EE have problems with the majority of accounts so goodness knows what sort of mess they have made of their IT systems - unless that is just another example of their lies and excuses of course :Angry:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well, just to update this thread.

A quick recap:
The cost of the EE data sim was £26 for 8gb on a 30 day rolling contract
We signed up for it and committed to the £26 a month rolling charge
We then were 'given' £26 cashback immediately by Carphone Warehouse
The same day we activated the sim and also gave notice that we didn't want to continue with it after the initial period (30 day cancellation notice required)

Situation to date:
We have been using the sim we bought for the last 4 weeks.
We have NOT had ANY charge made to us at all ... nothing, nada, zilch ...

This means that we will have had 8gb of mobile broadband via EE and been given a present of £26 for the privilege due to Carphone Warehouse's cashback!!!!! :thumb:

Soooooooo ... as we've only got 1gb of data left on it, we've gone and got another one today which will last us until we go on holiday in a month's time ... it will be interesting to see if we get charged for this one!!! :RollEyes:

Note that this deal is still available but it is NOT on display in the shop so you have to ask for it. :winky:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Well, just to update this thread.

A quick recap:
The cost of the EE data sim was £26 for 8gb on a 30 day rolling contract
We signed up for it and committed to the £26 a month rolling charge
We then were 'given' £26 cashback immediately by Carphone Warehouse
The same day we activated the sim and also gave notice that we didn't want to continue with it after the initial period (30 day cancellation notice required)

Situation to date:
We have been using the sim we bought for the last 4 weeks.
We have NOT had ANY charge made to us at all ... nothing, nada, zilch ...

This means that we will have had 8gb of mobile broadband via EE and been given a present of £26 for the privilege due to Carphone Warehouse's cashback!!!!! :thumb:

Soooooooo ... as we've only got 1gb of data left on it, we've gone and got another one today which will last us until we go on holiday in a month's time ... it will be interesting to see if we get charged for this one!!! :RollEyes:

Note that this deal is still available but it is NOT on display in the shop so you have to ask for it. :winky:

Well done, thanks for the info.........from Yorkshire are you? ::bigsmile:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
thanks yet again, will pop into carphone warehouse on tuesday.

Pat

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well done, thanks for the info.........from Yorkshire are you? ::bigsmile:

Ey, thy's reet lad! ::bigsmile:

One other thing we found out too is that our local Carphone Warehouse shops don't now stock anything by '3', neither phones nor data, as they've had too many problems with and complaints about them. :Eeek:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
i still use my t mobile sim when at meets and i normally get 3days for £4 it works as a buy 2 days get 1 free :Smile:
You must be on a different taffif to me Bill.
I 'm on £1 per day, or £2.50 per five days, or £5 per 30 days...........when I'm not on free WiFi or BT/FON. ::bigsmile:

Mel, I like reading your posts. You're a wee gem, finding all these deals and sharing them with us fellow Funsters. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back