LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was told a good driver is one who can get from a to b and no one notices.. And when you think about it that is a pretty good thing..............

As a matter of interest, a wee experiment for you all..

Ask 10 ( or however many you like ) MEN how they rate their driving. Poor, good.average or above average.
Chances are all of them will say better than average or above average..

Never tried it with ladies ( cos I REALLY hate getting my bits slapped ! )

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry, should have read....self opinion.

Some say they are a good driver because they NEVER break any law, others say they are good because they NEVER had an accident.

A good driver to me is someone curtious to other drivers, aware of their surroundings and always in control of both vehicle and circumstances.

That excludes me then :Doh:

Cummon ! Hurry up and stop pissing me off !.

Where the hell did they come from ?

Opps....white lines are slippery today. :roflmto:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
My RAF instructor always told us never to do anything that FORCED another driver to have to change speed or direction.
A few drivers could take note of that.

Mike

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My RAF instructor always told us never to do anything that FORCED another driver to have to change speed or direction.
A few drivers could take note of that.

Mike

The chap was obviously of the same school as my man :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Concentration anticipation patience and courtesy...........BUSBY:Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A good driver is someone who has passed the 'Advanced Driver' course and maintains their competency.

Should we meet, I will explain in great detail why that statement is so very very wrong and demonstrates a pretty dangerous and blinkered ideal ( and I speak as not only an IAM certified driver but a once observer )

chrissyvine

Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
As a female driver who has been driving, accident free, for 52 years in the UK and Europe I refuse to comment. Suffice it to say MY FRIENDS SAY I'M A GOOD DRIVER. So there!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I personally think that riding motorcycles before driving was invaluable to me. I like to think that I am a fairly good driver but who am I to judge! ::bigsmile:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
In my own opinion I am a good driver. In other people's opinion I am a bad driver, and here is why.

We travel about 20,000 miles per year in Europe. In all that time I probably have about 10 people who feel the need to honk their horn at me. Also in all that time I never need to honk my horn.

So, the rest of the motoring public must be good and I must be bad.

One thing particularly needs to be better understood. When you have to wait for traffic from both left and right to be clear you might be there for a while. In those circumstances you might need to catch an opportunity that you might otherwise let pass. It's called making reasonable progress.

I found myself on a motorway service area recently and needed to make a sharp left turn to make my exit. I waited until the road was clear and made my turn. Because of the angle of the turn and the length of my vehicle I had no choice other than to cross over into the oncoming lane (we've all had to do that). A car appeared mid maneuver and he felt the need to throw both his hands in the air.

Is he a good driver, or am I a bad driver? Yes, I could have driven over the bushes and pavement and stayed in the left lane. I did not design the parking area, I just had to use it as it was.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I personally think that riding motorcycles before driving was invaluable to me. I like to think that I am a fairly good driver but who am I to judge! ::bigsmile:

I think that if i had had a motorbike at 16 and not a car ( drove illegal for a year back in 1961) i would not be here now.. Because i did not have a license i drove very carefully. When i passed my test for a car i was a typical mad teenager. BUSBY:Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In my own opinion I am a good driver. In other people's opinion I am a bad driver, and here is why.

We travel about 20,000 miles per year in Europe. In all that time I probably have about 10 people who feel the need to honk their horn at me. Also in all that time I never need to honk my horn.

So, the rest of the motoring public must be good and I must be bad.

One thing particularly needs to be better understood. When you have to wait for traffic from both left and right to be clear you might be there for a while. In those circumstances you might need to catch an opportunity that you might otherwise let pass. It's called making reasonable progress.

I found myself on a motorway service area recently and needed to make a sharp left turn to make my exit. I waited until the road was clear and made my turn. Because of the angle of the turn and the length of my vehicle I had no choice other than to cross over into the oncoming lane (we've all had to do that). A car appeared mid maneuver and he felt the need to throw both his hands in the air.

Is he a good driver, or am I a bad driver? Yes, I could have driven over the bushes and pavement and stayed in the left lane. I did not design the parking area, I just had to use it as it was.

I am guessing this is a tongue in cheek post yes :thumb:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A good driver is someone who realizes that they are sharing the road with other people, not one who gets pissed off at all these other people on 'my' road!

In actual fact, it makes driving a lot more enjoyable than just trying to get on car ahead all the time. Rushing around and pushing in - you wouldn't do it with a trolly at the super market would you? Rush up the inside to overtake and be 1 ahead at the till. Seriously! Why are people so rude on the roads? People who otherwise - you know if you met them at the pub for example - are generally very nice people.

Share the road, be friendly, be chill, enjoy the ride. :thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Anticipation!!! :thumb:

I knew you were going to say that....

Good drivers aren't born, they are trained.
I thought I was a good driver till I took an 8 week advanced driving course. The first two weeks made me realise that I wasn't that good.
I used to teach driving and advanced driving, the worst drivers were the ones who came on the advanced courses thinking they were good.

As Ken says, anticipation is important, as is having good observational skills including hazard perception.
Heres something you can do to see how observant you are. Drive and keep up a running commentary on what you are doing and why, what you can see around you, point out hazards all around. Anticipate what other road users are going to do and what you can expect to happen around you.
Do that all the time in your head and you are a good driver.

Allan

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
A 3 week full time course on driving according to "Roadcraft" followed by a follow up test every 5 years and in between a 2 day Iveco course with bi monthly training in tactics and convoys as well as 6 monthly off road in LWB Land Rover for 10 years.

I thought I could drive before that lot as I used to drive 50.000 miles a year and no accidents and motorbiking which helps (3 points for speeding) but I got ripped to shreds, hands, gear changes, mirrors, road positioning, looking beyond round the corner, how I took corners, speed through corners, braking whilst cornering, clutch in etc. Now I consider myself a semi reasonable driver as I have seen the standard of more highly trained drivers. Absolutely phenominal some of them.

I now think of every gear change and make it as smooth as possible for the passenger so they dont even notice gears, accelerator, brake or steering. Even coming to a stop there is no last jud by taking the pressure away from the brake for that last 6 inches.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Should we meet, I will explain in great detail why that statement is so very very wrong and demonstrates a pretty dangerous and blinkered ideal ( and I speak as not only an IAM certified driver but a once observer )

I look forward to that, I'm sure your view of why this recognized Institute of advanced driving is so wrong will be interesting, to say the least.

Jun 7, 2012
TF10 8EP
Funster No
MH
Panelvan selfbuild
Exp
Is Lewis Hamilton a good driver? I would say so but is he a safe driver?

As an ex driving instructor the criteria examiners use for the test was not how GOOD you are but how SAFE you are.

Lads especially as soon as they could do manoeuvres like reversing around a corner or parallel parking thought they were the bees knees.

However you could perform the manoeuvre perfectly but if the observations were not correct then its a fail.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back