Windows 8 ~ is it easy to replace with W7? + shirts (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Bought a netbook in December came with W8. After a couple of weeks downloaded a W7 shell to mask W8, it's semi successful but there are cracks between the W8 behind the W7 façade, so works ok for about 80% of our usage.

About a month further on downloaded the W8.1 upgrade for free, don't use the netbook enough to notice too much difference.

Now 5 months on I'm thinking, if I had a choice I'd like to use a pure W7 O/S (which we use on our desktop very happily) on our netbook, I think we would use the netbook a great deal more if it ran W7.
I'm an advocate of improving and using new technology but just plain don't like the direction MS have taken with W8.

Nearest I can get is. Needed a new shirt as old one worn out. Shop only has red shirts and I wanted a blue shirt. There were no blue shirts available so I bought a red shirt. It does it's job as a shirt but I can't help thinking every time I put it on I wish it were blue. Hope that makes sense?

So if I were to go out and buy a W7 / W7 Pro operating system, is it easy to remove the W8.1 system and re-install the W7, or am I opening a can of worms?
The netbook as of yet doesn't have anything we can't afford to re-load or lose, so no problems there.

Thanks

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
did the very same thing with my dell. If you have another HD then use that a SSD is much better still. Then format and load as normal. You may have problem with some drivers but nothing that cant be worked around.
Steve

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
classic desktop for windows 8 is a great workaround gives back most of the feel and function of windows 7

reformatting and installing windows 7 is possible but the bios is now optimised for windows 8 so will cause as many issues as using classic desktop

once you get used to windows 8 it is actually pretty good though

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
[HI]classic desktop for windows 8 is a great workaround gives back most of the feel and function of windows 7
[/HI]
reformatting and installing windows 7 is possible but the bios is now optimised for windows 8 so will cause as many issues as using classic desktop

once you get used to windows 8 it is actually pretty good though

Is the Classic Desktop the program that comes with W8, or is it one of the independent software ones?

I'm not really knocking W8 although it appears as though there are a high proportion of users that would prefer something else. What I am saying is that it doesn't suit me even though we have a touch screen, I would have preferred an improved W7 style but there is never a choice when MS decide to upgrade.

Thanks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Uninstall the classic shell which you added and use the new 8.1 upgrade and the desktop provided in that. I am using it and although I have always hated windows 8 I am finding it very useable. I spent a few days setting the system up as I wanted it - completely revamped the start screen, changed colour and sound settings etc. I now have the computer booting in to the classic windows environment, but all the apps and whistles and bells I need are easily accessible under the start button. Makes it rather useable, and I very reluctantly say that actually it is not turning out to be too bad. It is very much faster than Windows 7 any way.

You will have bios issues, but they are not insurmountable. Google will find you a good resource for you make and model. You should also check out you can get hold of all the drivers you need before you start!!!!! Use your hardware manager to list your devices then get the drivers for them.

Also - do not repartition your hard drive. There will be a recovery partition which you can use to reinstall the original system if your downgrade goes terribly wrong. Also very useful to have it there to return it to factory settings if you ever decide to sell it. You will find more buyers with the original OS on there...

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I just put up with it & learnt to use it...
the latest update boots directly to desktop.

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
I use Classic for both my Win7 and Win 8 computers makes them all like XP which I also use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Nest week I have a day where I'm marooned at a friends house on my own for a day. Think I'll do as OddSocks has suggested, we'll see how I get on

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back