May 8, 2012
back in uk for a while
Funster No
MH
sold - none at the moment
Exp
June 2012
Hi guys

Have had the MH in storage for a couple of months and the engine battery was flat when we went back to her. Managed to charge her off of the car after couple of hours, but does anyone recommend any solar trickle chargers to stop this happening again?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Many of these sold are so low powered as to be useless.

I leave my Discovery parked at the MH storage facility when we are away, and this is notorious for running down it's battery. I bought a 10w panel of ebay and this I just leave on the roof with it's output connected into the permanently live pin on the 12S towing socket. It will produce a maximum of 0.5A so doesn't need a regulator and this seem sufficient to keep the battery topped up.

Panel like this one
Broken Link Removed

I used some magnetic selfadhesive strip on the panel to stop it getting blown off in a strong wind.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Pointless gadgets. I wired three of them together to try and keep the battery alive over winter and it was useless.

I have an 80 Watt solar panel on the MH roof that charges the leisure battery direct whilst in storage, and a home-made split relay circuit that puts any surplus into the engine battery. It only works up until about December, then I have to start taking the MH for a monthly spin, and bring it home for an EHU re-charge to keep the engine battery alive until about March. The leisure battery just about makes it through the winter on solar only, but the extra input certainly helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as already said, the little dashtop ones are useless unless you are charging a mobile phone or similar.

They only provide a fraction of an amp in the best sun and the vans normal parasitic loads (alarm, radio memory etc) take more than that out the battery.

A minimum of 30watts MAY keep it topped up in winter....if the sun shines a bit each day.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What make charging unit does your motorhome have, if it was a schaudt unit you can charge both battery's with there solar regulator.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I purchased a small dash top solar panel (approx size is 15x8") as my engine battery kept going low/flat - not enough in it to turn the engine over :cry: it cost about £40 from Spinney Motorhomes and it worked a treat, as soon as i connected it all up the voltage was trickling up::bigsmile: - the last time i connected it the van had not been used for over 10 days and it fired straight up off the key instantly, (never gone that long without a start before) I have since found out that my engine battery was knackered and its been replaced by Peugeot under warranty, so even though my battery was a crock this solar panel still kept it charged to over 13.2v ready to start:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi guys

Have had the MH in storage for a couple of months and the engine battery was flat when we went back to her. Managed to charge her off of the car after couple of hours, but does anyone recommend any solar trickle chargers to stop this happening again?

Try one of these:

Broken Link Removed

More effective than a tiny solar panel for keeping your battery from going flat over winter.

I actually use both. The 200W of panels do the leisure battery fine. The isolator suits the engine battery.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you have solar panels you can bridge the split charge relay with a fused link to charge both leisure and vehicle battery the fuses is there to blow if you try to start the van with the link in place

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
What make charging unit does your motorhome have, if it was a schaudt unit you can charge both battery's with there solar regulator.

Hmm...

Sorry to hijack this post but I was thinking of buying a large solar panel to top uo the battery when parked one of those £80 ebay jobys that dont need a regulator.

But having seen the above post I am now thinking that it may be possible to just connect the vehicle battery to 2nd battery slot in the solar charge box in the wardrobe.

would this sound about right ? I have no idea what make it is not until i look in the morning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back