Slime for Tyres (1 Viewer)

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
As fewer MHs are being supplied with a get-you-home puncture repair kit instead of a spare wheel, I was wondering if anyone has tried this....
Broken Link Removed
I have used it in motorcycle tyres quite successfully but does anyone use it in their MH?

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
I use it in my mobility scooter, but I would not use it in the motorhome, for one it would cost a small fortune to put it in four motorhome tyres, and two, I do not know if it is true or not, but I have heard that if you do get a puncture no one will repair it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I use it in my mobility scooter, but I would not use it in the motorhome, for one it would cost a small fortune to put it in four motorhome tyres, and two, I do not know if it is true or not, [HI]but I have heard that if you do get a puncture no one will repair it[/HI].

This is true. They all say something along the lines of not being able to verify the tyre properly once that stuff has been used. Probably nonsense but if the tyre centres all stick together on it....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have used oco. by linseal. found it worked great .looks very similar.
had one tyre going down after crossing the desert in maroc . it had 11 thorn pricks in the tyre . it fixed it . have had larger holes were its come out and all over the wheel arch but fixed it again . i find tyre strings will go in but trying to clean the inside of a tyre to take a patch forget it.
i also had trouble trying to repair a tube that had been in a tyre with sealer in it . i couldnt get it to stick . but using a heated vulcanizer finally did the trick .
i keep a few liters in the truck for that time i might need it.
but prefer to repair the tyre now. luckily i carry all the gear and have a compressor on the truck.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
At least with a spare wheel you can change it .No amount of that gunge will repair a split Tyre and if you get a puncture it will happen where you least want it to happen .A spare wheel adds weight but you feel more secure.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
At least with a spare wheel you can change it .No amount of that gunge will repair a split Tyre and if you get a puncture it will happen where you least want it to happen .A spare wheel adds weight but you feel more secure.

agree with that . i carry two spares for my unit and two for the trailer .
mind in the desert you can soon get lots of punctures .
dont think i would want not to carry a spare .
bad enough on a m,bike .

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Had in the M/bike. Great, until it's tyre change time. A lot of tyre companies wont change your tyres if you have it in. Best to check first. :thumb:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
had this put http://www.puncturesafe.com/ in my last MH, was told by tyre fitters that they would not be able to do repair. Not expensive but I found that over the period of a year I had to replace all of the valves, coincidence ? maybe but I now wont have another vehicle without a spare.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have had puncture safe in my motorhome tyres for over 2 years now with absolutely no issues whatever.

i have asked tyre dealers about both the supplied puncture repair GOOO and puncturesafe, all have told me that the with the puncture repair GOO it is difficult to clean the tyre sufficiently to guarantee a repair, also that Puncture safe is not an issue as it normal can stand upto 5 / 6 punctures before there's a problem. when the tyre is changed they have all said its not an issue.:thumb:

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
The AA used it on my Z4 no problems at all. The tyre companies will also repair the tyre as SLime washes clean away with water. I have also put it in my cycle tyres as a precaution against puncture. Good stuff:thumb::thumb::thumb:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I used ultra seal successfully - I went down from about 2 punctures a year to less than 1. It also slowed the loss of air from a large cut in a tyre wall.

Companies don't like repairing tyres with some goo in but since my tyres wore out, I didn't get the chance to test whether they would have managed to repair a tyre that had had goo in it.

I will be getting some more for our new mh; not only do I want to stop a puncture, the thought of having to change a wheel on such a beast is not fun.

I haven't used this company but it sells the product - I haven't compared prices to other suppliers. The guy that supplied me in the past is no longer in business so I'll be looking for another source.

http://www.ultraseal-swiftlysorted.co.uk/

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
A few years ago both my brother and myself had our tyres treat with some stuff at a motorhome show
I can`t remember what it was called but the guy selling it had a motorcycle wheel and tyre fitted to a stand he proceeded to spin the wheel after stabbing a screwdriver into the tyre. the puncture sealed immediatly we were so impressed we both decided to have our tyres treat there and then. I think it cost about £20 a wheel, worth every penny if it prevented a puncture.

The Show finished and we set of home, every thing went well until i got to about 55 mph my usual cruising speed, the steering started to vibrate the wheels were out of balance. we both suffered the same problem.

We tried to get the wheels balanced when we got home but we could not apparently because the stuff in the tyre remains in a liquid form the tyre fitters could not balance the wheel on their machine We ended up getting the stuff washed out of our front wheels. we contacted the guy selling the stuff and he refunded us no problem he said he had no complaints of a similar nature before. But both vans were affected so it was not just a one off.

I would not trust the present puncture repair stuff supplied with most new vans i would go as far as to say that it is as much use as a chocolate fireguard .
You cant beat having a spare wheel .When i purchased my new van it was supplied with a can of crazy foam and a plug in pump i told the suppliying dealer IF NO SPARE WHEEL NO DEAL this was sorted out for me strieight away

peter125

Free Member
Nov 26, 2012
cardiff south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1982
This stuff was first made for aggricutural vehciles slow speed use only, then the manufactures got hold of it, but where are the safety checks for high speed use, I was in tyres for nearly 40 years and wont touch the stuff, how much do you value your motorhome, life and family.

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
AA used it on a puncture on my Mini and assured me that it was repairable.....however no one would touch it - too labour intensive to clean up in order to repair the tyre. The videos on the internet look impressive and it certainly bunged my puncture effectively and I drove around on it for a few weeks.

So for a real emergency it would be great but I'm not sure if I would use it in the motorhome (fortunately we have a spare tyre).

I ended up having to replace an almost new tyre:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back