Free overnight stop along Pembroke Dock to Cardiff route? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We are returning from Ireland 26 June, arriving Pembroke Dock at 00:46 am on the 27th. We are looking for somewhere to get maybe 6 hours sleep en route toward London, anywhere between Pembroke and Cardiff say.

As we are arriving at Pembroke Dock late at night campsites are not on, so any free parking area close to our route would be a help.

Have taken a look at the service areas on the M4 but all are expensive pay if longer than 2 hours (and I object to paying on principle as I believe on main trunk routes we should be allowed more than 1 hour and 50 minutes to sleep if needed, purely for safety reasons. Government should take a lead here when licensing service areas).

Thanks for any input

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i was going to say swing by Jim's place but its a bit of your route

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
It's a shame but yes it is and not sure that he would be too pleased us turning up at 2 am

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paul johnson

Free Member
Apr 22, 2014
Wales
Funster No
MH
Peugeot
Exp
Hi, there is a little chef at st clears roundabout on the A40. About 30 minute drive from p/dock maybe you can pull in there for a few hours. I'm passing that way the weekend and can check it out if your interested.

Regards Paul.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Agree with the post above. There is also a big layby on the road towards Carmarthen that I often see motorhomes parked up in, but I am struggling to remember exactly where it is. I think it is just after you go through LLanteg, and it will be on your side of the road. Guessing about 20 minutes from Pembroke Dock ferry.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hi, there is a little chef at st clears roundabout on the A40. About 30 minute drive from p/dock maybe you can pull in there for a few hours. [HI]I'm passing that way the weekend and can check it out if your interested.[/HI]

Regards Paul.

Thanks Paul, that would be very helpful if it doesn't put you out too much.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just checked Google Earth and that layby is just after you go through Llanteg, about a mile at most.

It's well off the road with a line of trees screening you from the road.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Just checked Google Earth and that layby is just after you go through Llanteg, about a mile at most.

It's well off the road with a line of trees screening you from the road.

Thanks, saw that too Chris. On the google photo I was surprised there were no trucks parked up or even full of them as it's the main route to the docks.

If it's like the photo then we don't have far to travel from Pembroke to get a good nights sleep.

ps: It's just occurred to me that when we arrive it will be choc a bloc with campers now!!!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Try The Waun Wyllt,Horeb Road, Five Roads, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire SA15 5AQ a remote site with EHU

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there is a large layby with a toilet and a cafe between Cross hands and the beginning of the M4 at Pont Abraham. you can only access it east bound. its about an hour from Pembroke dock on the A48 and about 1 mile to start of M4.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks, saw that too Chris. On the google photo I was surprised there were no trucks parked up or even full of them as it's the main route to the docks.

If it's like the photo then we don't have far to travel from Pembroke to get a good nights sleep.

ps: It's just occurred to me that when we arrive it will be choc a bloc with campers now!!!

I don't think it gets that busy because it's not easy to spot.

If it's full though it isn't far to that Little Chef car park at St Clears.

And if that is full there is a garage just off the road on the dual carriageway into Carmarthen which is privately run I think. I am sure they wouldn't mind you parking up.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I don't think it gets that busy because it's not easy to spot.

If it's full though it isn't far to that Little Chef car park at St Clears.

[HI]And if that is full there is a garage just off the road on the dual carriageway into Carmarthen which is privately run I think. I am sure they wouldn't mind you parking up.
[/HI]

drove past there this morning, BIG SIGN NOW STATING £10 A NIGHT STOPOVER.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back