How accurate is your heating thermostat? (1 Viewer)

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I've got truma heating combi boiler in my Burstner. The heater thermostat seems pretty erratic. I have to turn it to virtually full up before it kicks in, and then it seems to heat up well and fast. Then when you turn the thermostat way down it does go off, but nothing between full on or really low seems to register!
Cheers
Dai:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
On ours the temperature sensor is right about he hab door, have you any draughts near there.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I had a similar problem on a Coachman caravan, the heat sensor was located at almost floor level, you can buy an extension for the sensor and relocate it about mid height in the Hab area:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
might need a bit of TLC...

Had to take ours out recently as it had a fault, sorted that one easily enough, but noticed the fan which blows the air around the van was caked in dust and stuff, gave it a good clean and it works a treat now....dont even notice the fan running now and it seems to be a more balanced blow of air out of it as well, as well as a more balanced temp all around the van

seems an annual clean of the fans is reccomended by Truma!!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
On gas it seems to be fairly accurate but on electric it can be reluctant to switch the heating off. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the temperature shown on the control panel and when the thermostat cuts in and out. :RollEyes: Over time you learn how to tweak the controls to get the best out of it. ::bigsmile:

For some reason my van has two temperature sensors - one high up to the side of the hab door the other at floor level in the lounge area. I would like to think that there is some sophisticated averaging going on between the two - but somehow I doubt it. :wub:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On ours the temperature sensor is right about he hab door, have you any draughts near there.
As our van is a similar age and same make and our heater controls are by the door then I guess the sensor is as well. We don't have any problems.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I've got truma heating combi boiler in my Burstner. The heater thermostat seems pretty erratic. I have to turn it to virtually full up before it kicks in, and then it seems to heat up well and fast. Then when you turn the thermostat way down it does go off, but nothing between full on or really low seems to register!
Cheers

My Coleman is pretty good, at least once you've worked out what you want in Fahrenheit...

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Interesting

might need a bit of TLC...

Had to take ours out recently as it had a fault, sorted that one easily enough, but noticed the fan which blows the air around the van was caked in dust and stuff, gave it a good clean and it works a treat now....dont even notice the fan running now and it seems to be a more balanced blow of air out of it as well, as well as a more balanced temp all around the van

seems an annual clean of the fans is reccomended by Truma!!

Have you any details on how you get to the fan(s) to clean them, I am new to this & would like to see if mine require any maintainance.

Thanks
Mike

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We have a Burstner Aviano and the sensor is located high up near the door in the control panel. I have found it works much better pulled out about 10mm.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I have read these very interesting comments. I do not know where my sensor is so question one, what does it look like and where will it probably be. Question two how do you get access to the dust on the fan?

My heater seems to work fine until it decides temperature has been reached (wife agrees with it, I don't) and then it shuts off until it gets very cold.

Hopefully, your answers will put me back in control. She has been known to put blockages over the outlet vents and pretend it is an accident.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Have you any details on how you get to the fan(s) to clean them, I am new to this & would like to see if mine require any maintainance.

Thanks
Mike
hopefully your truma is in a better position than ours...had to take the whole thing out:Doh:

but, looking at the front there are two fans, the one on the lower right is the main blower. Cleaning this is quite straight forward...the fan fins are easily accessible without any dismantling ( asuming you can get at it easily) and then its simply a hoover and a paint brush job.:Smile:

the other fan which is top centre is for the combustion, shouldnt need to do anything with this one but I did whilst the unit was out, few screws pull it out and the hoover and brush again. Make sure to get a good seal when you put it back together though.

have to say that it seems a lot happier since, works better and more efficiently as the fan isnt going like billyo all the time. Its also solved a problem with one of the outlets being useless unless I closed most of the other outlets.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I have read these very interesting comments. I do not know where my sensor is so question one, what does it look like and where will it probably be. Question two how do you get access to the dust on the fan?

My heater seems to work fine until it decides temperature has been reached (wife agrees with it, I don't) and then it shuts off until it gets very cold.

Hopefully, your answers will put me back in control. She has been known to put blockages over the outlet vents and pretend it is an accident.
Whilst sorting ours out I found some info that explained a few things in our van.
First was the fan needing cleaning at least annually
second was keeping all the vents at least half open and pointing in differnet directions....as in not all blowing straight out...to get a good flow of warm air in all corners
and lastly was making sure the blower fan has a clear flow of warmed air into it. We have a vent which is in an odd place, or at least seemed odd until I found out it was the one which effectively warms the air that the blower draws in. With it being pre warmed the heater has to work less ( especially with a cleaned fan) and uses less gas and more importantly less juice from the battery. We also had a fair bit of stuff in the way of the blowers air input aswell...Which ive also sorted too

end result....better all round heat distribution and no cold corners...and a more gentle heat rather than what we had before which sounds similar to what you're getting with the highs and lows

Fair bit of experimenting needed as well with the vent directions....hours of fun

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Our thermostat for the Truma C6002 boiler (gas only) appears to be in sync (or very close to) with the temperature readout on the display panel.
Once the hab area has heated quickly, the fan switches from high speed to low speed, and keeps things ticking over.
If still feeling cold when it switches off, a minor tweek soon has the low speed fan on again.

BTW, whilst in Germany, a Truma engineer removed the top cover to investigate a wood burning smell I picked up on. It turned out that the inside of the top cover was lined with wood dust (from the original factory build) which the heater had sucked in and deposited. Once he cleared it all off using his compressor air line, all was okay, however, a newer cover was offered, which provided a more efficient airflow, so we opted for that, and have not experienced the wood burning smell since. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

crimbo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"I`m a newbie"
Cheers
Mine works fine using gas with the fan blower but with electric its very inefficient :Angry:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine works fine using gas with the fan blower but with electric its very inefficient :Angry:

Electric is only to supplement gas, it is not designed to stand alone. The correct way to use it is to get everything up to temperature with gas and then the electric will reduce gas consumption :thumb:

crimbo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"I`m a newbie"
Electric is only to supplement gas, it is not designed to stand alone. The correct way to use it is to get everything up to temperature with gas and then the electric will reduce gas consumption :thumb:
You`re never too old to learn something new. Cheers, :thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I wish I had the option :Sad: First buyer chose gas only option