Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
Hi Everyone I am a Newbie, in fact so new, I have not even got a motorhome yet, I am doing some homework first, and I am slightly put off by pitch prices !

My dream is to travel Spain, the big question I want to know is how often is it necessary to go to recognized camp sites and pay ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i guess it depends how you charge your batteries and how fast they charge, how much water you use....fresh water means waste water to get rid of and finding somewhere to dump your toilet cassette....i dont think Spain has public toilets where you could dump to the extent we do.

I also heard some areas of Spain are tightening up on wild/free camping, moving you on almost immediately.

Last edited:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi Firebird and welcome to the Fun! :welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hi Everyone I am a Newbie, in fact so new, I have not even got a motorhome yet, I am doing some homework first, and I am slightly put off by pitch prices !

My dream is to travel Spain, the big question I want to know is how often is it necessary to go to recognized camp sites and pay ?

You can get to Spain and stay on free aires in France so that cuts some costs..
There are some "aires" in Spain but not many are free, especially near coasts etc. However they are on the increase and some private aires do cost less than campsites.. As said above you may need services so you can dump your toilet etc so even if you find free wild spots you still need some facilites.
I guess it depends on where you have done your research and what prices you have looked at..
You may find this handy.. Link Removed

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. There are those who never use a campsite so don't let that put you off, use facilities where you eat and drink in towns and your cassette will fill slower:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Welcome to the FUN!!

If you get an ACSI card/books, (cost about £14-50p) you can find loads of camp sites at very reasonable prices. Sites are all over Europe and more and more are to be found in the UK. It gives you the opportunity to use quite expensive sites at knock down prices during off peak periods. :thumb:

Have a look here:

Broken Link Removed

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
hello and welcome to house of fun.it depends at what time of the year you go.let us know when you want to go and you will get a better answer.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
welcome . i have just come back from five and a half months in spain . i took the ferry to santander .600quid took about 400 quids worth of tinned dried food . only spent another 1,000 . had a very nice time . never used a campsite ,a restaurant ,only used a bar once.
did about 2,300 miles .
cheap winter away .
empty toilet in man holes marked sanimento . dont use the others . grey waste same place or in the verge . but be discreet only tip in sensible places .
there are still village taps ,fonts etc if you look hard enough ,visit lots of villages and drive slowly .

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
as some one has said they got the ferry down to spain.its up to you.work out the cost of fuel,to the price of the ferry.and chose the cheapist.now if you want to stop on sites you have acci cards or camping cheques.they both work at that time of year. or you can get the book on aries .which ever way you choose if you have a prob.just stick it on here some one will help you.and at that time of the year their is quite a few of us over there.:thumb::thumb:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
There are many free aires in France and also some in Spain others you will pay around 10€ per night or a little more depending on how popular the area is.

My advice would be to use as many of these as you can and the occasional campsite to catch up with folks via the site wifi and use their washing machines and cassette and grey water emptying facilities.

Sites can cost anything from 14€\26€per night depending on where you are and when in the season you use them.

Unlike some folks, we take a small amount of food with us, mainly for the odd times we wild camp. We always buy supplies from local shops and use local bars and restaurants as often as we can afford to. That way we find we meet lots of interesting folks and find out a lot more about the area and what is going on in the area we are visiting.

Each to their own I suppose, but we prefer to try and integrate rather than isolate ourselves from the folks around us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back