im sure this is the last mechanical for a while (1 Viewer)

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
since october 2013
two tyres.
new nearside short rear axle,
complete 4 corners bearings,drums brakes fixing kits, hubs,,.
alternator upgraded .
new Engine battery my choice,
steering bushings again my choice when i was doing the work .
NOW, ok to be fair the guy when i bought it gave me a grand off due to a known fact that there was a slight gring or synchro mesh of gear selection was starting to go. ok lasted 5 months .last weekend lost 5th gear complet;ly.. so today stripping out gearbox driving 4 mins away transmisions workshop will remanufacture my box as new, £450+vat thats good.
im going to do a 3 in 1 clutch kit while its dropped out and my mate igor who is the best polish mechanic in scotland will assist me with new timing belt and recon my injectors...
NOW thats got to be the end of this saga,,
for many years i have learned many mechanical skills and bought many many tools for the job. i bought an engine lift for £180 4 years ago for
a van engine and used it 3 times after that, incl all my personal and my motorhome im sure ive saved a few quid in mechanical bills ,some i have bit the bullet and let the garage do the lot,,
am assuming im not the only member on here with a mechanical saga possibly with an epilog to tell at a later date,,lol:cry:

"AH WELL THE FUN OF MOTORHOMING",
"IM SURE OUT THERE IN THE NORMAL HUMAN WORLD IT IS SAID WE MOTORHOME TO SAVE MONEY ON HOTEL BILLS":ROFLMAO:
HERES MY===
FUEL BILL.
FOOD BILL.
ALL THE EXTRAS ON THE VAN BILL..
PARTS AND LABOUR BILL..
WEAR AND TEAR BILL..
PARKING OR SPEEDING TICKET FAE THE AULD BILL..(NO YET ANYWAY):ROFLMAO:

GOOD REASONS:thumb:
THE KIDS SMILES,
THE WIFES MOANING"SHEEP, HILLS,LOCHS AND MORE LOCHS,:cry:
WILD AND REMOTE BBQS,
CHILAXING,
PULL UP AND PARK HAVE A COFFEE OR TEA,,,
GREAT VIEWS IN MOST CASES,,,:Blush:
COZY COZY WARM WITH EVERYTHING YOU NEED WITHIN 10FT..
WAKE UP WHEN YA WANT ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND ..
EARLY MORNING OPEN ROOF BLINDS LET IN THE SUN AND FRESH AIR..
AT NIGHT OPEN ROOF LIGHTS AND FALL ASLEEP UNDER THE STARS,,

ANYWAY ITS SUMMER WE ALL HAVE FOUR WHEELS SOME HAVE SIX
ENJOY THE LIFE AND TELL THE REST TO GET A LIFE..:thumb:

dac5

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
york
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
Exp
march 2014
Hi,
I too over the years have learnt a lot about motor vehicles in general and how to repair them.
My one problem is I tend to buy vehicles that Haynes don't do a workshop manual for.
Therefore follows a long learning curve.:Doh:
I too have a garage full of tools so full i can't get a car in it.
My best asset is a good mechanic as a friend I have one of the best (if that's not boasting).
If Mick can't fix it it's not worth fixing.eg 13 years restoring a Aston Martin DB5 for a customer.
I pop round every week and get my hands dirty.

Baring major mechanical failure I try to carry out regular maintenence before It's needed.
Dean

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Enjoy your travels , well done for getting stuck in,at least you know all about your ride ,Have Fun,:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
13 years restoring a Aston Martin DB5 for a customer.
Dean

The old ones look great at shows but we tend to forget what rotten heaps the UK turned out in those days.

Most were rusting away in the delivery yards of the factories that made them.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
since october 2013
two tyres.
new nearside short rear axle,
complete 4 corners bearings,drums brakes fixing kits, hubs,,.
alternator upgraded .
new Engine battery my choice,
steering bushings again my choice when i was doing the work .
NOW, ok to be fair the guy when i bought it gave me a grand off due to a known fact that there was a slight gring or synchro mesh of gear selection was starting to go. ok lasted 5 months .last weekend lost 5th gear complet;ly.. so today stripping out gearbox driving 4 mins away transmisions workshop will remanufacture my box as new, £450+vat thats good.
im going to do a 3 in 1 clutch kit while its dropped out and my mate igor who is the best polish mechanic in scotland will assist me with new timing belt and recon my injectors...
NOW thats got to be the end of this saga,,
for many years i have learned many mechanical skills and bought many many tools for the job. i bought an engine lift for £180 4 years ago for
a van engine and used it 3 times after that, incl all my personal and my motorhome im sure ive saved a few quid in mechanical bills ,some i have bit the bullet and let the garage do the lot,,
am assuming im not the only member on here with a mechanical saga possibly with an epilog to tell at a later date,,lol:cry:

"AH WELL THE FUN OF MOTORHOMING",
"IM SURE OUT THERE IN THE NORMAL HUMAN WORLD IT IS SAID WE MOTORHOME TO SAVE MONEY ON HOTEL BILLS":ROFLMAO:
HERES MY===
FUEL BILL.
FOOD BILL.
ALL THE EXTRAS ON THE VAN BILL..
PARTS AND LABOUR BILL..
WEAR AND TEAR BILL..
PARKING OR SPEEDING TICKET FAE THE AULD BILL..(NO YET ANYWAY):ROFLMAO:

GOOD REASONS:thumb:
THE KIDS SMILES,
THE WIFES MOANING"SHEEP, HILLS,LOCHS AND MORE LOCHS,:cry:
WILD AND REMOTE BBQS,
CHILAXING,
PULL UP AND PARK HAVE A COFFEE OR TEA,,,
GREAT VIEWS IN MOST CASES,,,:Blush:
COZY COZY WARM WITH EVERYTHING YOU NEED WITHIN 10FT..
WAKE UP WHEN YA WANT ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND ..
EARLY MORNING OPEN ROOF BLINDS LET IN THE SUN AND FRESH AIR..
AT NIGHT OPEN ROOF LIGHTS AND FALL ASLEEP UNDER THE STARS,,

ANYWAY ITS SUMMER WE ALL HAVE FOUR WHEELS SOME HAVE SIX
ENJOY THE LIFE AND TELL THE REST TO GET A LIFE..:thumb:

Yep your mechanic igor is great, in fact hes coming to me 2mor:Smile: Fingers crossed your problems have ended.

dac5

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
york
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
Exp
march 2014
The old ones look great at shows but we tend to forget what rotten heaps the UK turned out in those days.

Most were rusting away in the delivery yards of the factories that made them.

Brian,
Quite right this 1 also had a bump at the front end, So took a lot of work which was done in between other jobs.
As far as I can remember not much chassis welding required, But then it was 13 years ago when he started.
When it was completed last month I never heard it running:cry: but I did sit in it::bigsmile:
Dean

OP
OP
geo glasgow

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
update

under sealing completely however noticed sill and upright looked strange??
picked and hammered and it all fell in ,, :Sad:
so grind out sills and approx 200mm upright,,
good metal infills and welded both sides perfect better than out of the factory.... :winky:

next rust protection and chip coating then sprayed ,,wow fantastic..:Blush:
next fibreglass that i busted in back and side fixed by two polish guys in eastkilbride was going to do it myself but had a bit of woodwork skills to perform over the weekend foto incl,,nothing to do with motorhomes but i thought i would show of that im a jack of all trades master of non...:ROFLMAO:

any way back to this wagon ive had for 6 months,, im sure after this again as iv said thats it complete better than factory and thayts not hard from the way they turn these things out,,, i couldnt imagine paying 60 70k for a new motorhome built to rot after 9 or 10 years, im going for european next time maybe 2 years away,,:thumb:
il post fotos weekend of before and after on the motorhome work,,
anyone need a good mechanic around glasgow area for service mots and repairs at very good cost let me know pm il pass on a great guy,:thumb:

Attachments

• 2014-05-07 08.31.45.jpg
    2014-05-07 08.31.45.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 31

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Geo

Nothing like sorting your own problems out and fixing them and then driving the van knowing what makes it work:thumb:

Mind you by the sounds of it mechanically you have a new van

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,
I too over the years have learnt a lot about motor vehicles in general and how to repair them.
My one problem is I tend to buy vehicles that Haynes don't do a workshop manual for.
Therefore follows a long learning curve.:Doh:
I too have a garage full of tools so full i can't get a car in it.
My best asset is a good mechanic as a friend I have one of the best (if that's not boasting).
If Mick can't fix it it's not worth fixing.eg [HI]13 years restoring a Aston Martin DB5 for a customer.[/HI]
I pop round every week and get my hands dirty.

Baring major mechanical failure I try to carry out regular maintenence before It's needed.
Dean

not the quickest mechanic then. :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like you need to predict future problems and book in months in advance. :Doh:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
under sealing completely however noticed sill and upright looked strange??
picked and hammered and it all fell in ,, :Sad:
so grind out sills and approx 200mm upright,,
good metal infills and welded both sides perfect better than out of the factory.... :winky:--------------------------------------------------------------------------

next rust protection and chip coating then sprayed ,,wow fantastic..:Blush:
next fibreglass that i busted in back and side fixed by two polish guys in eastkilbride was going to do it myself but had a bit of woodwork skills to perform over the weekend foto incl,,nothing to do with motorhomes but i thought i would show of that im a jack of all trades master of non...:ROFLMAO:

any way back to this wagon ive had for 6 months,, im sure after this again as iv said thats it complete better than factory and thayts not hard from the way they turn these things out,,, i couldnt imagine paying 60 70k for a new motorhome built to rot after 9 or 10 years, im going for european next time maybe 2 years away,,:thumb:
il post fotos weekend of before and after on the motorhome work,,
anyone need a good mechanic around glasgow area for service mots and repairs at very good cost let me know pm il pass on a great guy,:thumb:
Some start to rot before they even leave the factory.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have had my van for 24 years from new.my secret weapon is my son.who is also a great tech.the reason he works on my van.is that it is he's when I kick the bucket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back