1998 Renault Trafic VIN Number (1 Viewer)

Kyter

Free Member
May 7, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Years of dabbling, first proper go now.
Hello people! We've just bought the above van from a breakers yard. No V5 etc. I need the VIN number for paperwork. Would the number 2160041, stamped on a small plate clipped above the o/s headlamp, seem right? Cheers :Smile:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I didn't think that a vehicle bought from a breakers, that has been declared as 'scrap', could be put back on the road, once the V5 has been handed in, (if that's your intention). You can buy a vehicle for parts.
I do know the rules changed during the scrappage scheme of a few years ago, so that vehicles declared as scrap must remain so.
Anyway, look inside the NS windscreen, at dash level. The vin should be on there, or/and a plate under the bonnet.

OP
OP
K

Kyter

Free Member
May 7, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Cheers mate. Let me rephrase that: I'm being a bit too loose with my phrasing. We bought it from a chap who has a garage, he has a few 'projects'in various states. This was one that he bought, to do up, but didn't have time for. I hope, anyway!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Cheers mate. Let me rephrase that: I'm being a bit too loose with my phrasing. We bought it from a chap who has a garage, he has a few 'projects'in various states. This was one that he bought, to do up, but didn't have time for. I hope, anyway!

No disrespect mate, but I don't think you can buy a vehicle without number plates/or and a V5, (or at least proof that a V5 is still relevant to the vehicle). There has to be a positive way of identifying, and if the VIN number isn't where it should be........................

OP
OP
K

Kyter

Free Member
May 7, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I can't check the windscreen as there is no windscreen; a tree's gone down on it. The only repairs really needing doing are that, a split needs welding in the roof, and sill welding. I'm a welder fabricator, which helps.
To answer your questions over the legitimacy of the van, I'm going on two things: It does, as has been enquired, have number plates. Also, the chap I bought it from has a lengthy and faultless eBay record of sales. It really wouldn't be in his interests to sell a dodgy vehicle.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the vin number is on a plate rivetted to the front bonnet land panel.
Failing that it is stamped on the chassis.
my last two ducato's had the number stamped on the chassis behind an access panel in the o/s footwell.

See the video below.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-kCc5C8gddA"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-kCc5C8gddA[/ame]

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
appologies for the picture size....

It looks like this....or on the chassis its the line starting ZFA only

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
K

Kyter

Free Member
May 7, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks John. Appreciated, mate.

OP
OP
K

Kyter

Free Member
May 7, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Cheers John, much appreciated.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
also, it may be a class C or D write-off.

Class C is damaged but repairable

Class D is uneconomical repair in insurers view.

Either way it will need a full inspection and certifying safe for the road after repairs.

It will be on the motor insurance bureau's list of write-offs and even after repairs will still be flagged as such....for ever.....which could cause problems when you sell it..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
oppps....just realised it aint a fiat.
All sevelle vans (fiat, Puegeot and Citroen)a re the same but Renault aint a sevelle van so the vin may be elsewhere but it will be stamped on the chassis somewhere..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
list of possible locations.....

Firewall (bulkhead) of the vehicle
Radiator Support Bracket
Dash by windshield (recessed into the front of the dash top)
Left hand inner wheel arch
Steering column
Machined Pad on front of engine
Drivers door or post on passenger side

Later model years most common locations of the VIN:
Left instrumentation panel
Dash plate by window (as earlier)
Drivers door or door pillar - usually on the pillar as doors are too easy to swap.

Early ones may have a riveted on panel, later ones a tamper proof

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its an insurance write off and theres no log book, its either scrap or belongs to the insurance company. when you write to dvla with the number plate and vin number they will tell you if its not been declared SORN over the last few years it cant be reregistered. it is still possible though but expensive and will need a full engineers report and extended MOT. even then it will be hard to insure

to be honest I would consider such a vehicle as a donor to convert something newer. it will be much cheaper

kernowjon

Free Member
Jun 6, 2015
CORNWALL
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2010
Hi,
I own a Trafic - If you lift the bonnet and look at the bulkhead / firewall you will see it stamped into the metal. There should be a plate rivetted to the inner o/s wing headed "Regie National Des Usiness Renault. The first 2 rows of numbers ignore the 3rd row is the chassis number.
May I suggest you consider joining the Renault Trafic Motorhome Register www.rtmr.org
We have a wide range of technical resources for our members including downloads of workshop manuals.
jon

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,
I own a Trafic - If you lift the bonnet and look at the bulkhead / firewall you will see it stamped into the metal. There should be a plate rivetted to the inner o/s wing headed "Regie National Des Usiness Renault. The first 2 rows of numbers ignore the 3rd row is the chassis number.
May I suggest you consider joining the Renault Trafic Motorhome Register www.rtmr.org
We have a wide range of technical resources for our members including downloads of workshop manuals.
jon
This thread is 13 months old and the original poster has not been seen or heard of since he asked this question.

Easy and very common mistake for new members to make.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back