Free Member
May 6, 2014
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Hi I'm Alan from South Wales.

Always a firmly negative person regarding camping.

As I've grown older, kids gone, find that European resort holidays are just not enough. I've now started to consider a luxury motor home for myself, my wife and our Welsh Springer Spaniel.

My concerns are what to do once I get to a site. As we will have a dog, walking would be the main form of transport. Do other motor home users move their vehicle regularly once on a site, or is it a case of being too much effort to move.

If the above hold, then I need to understand what sites are close to good amenities / shops / pubs / restaurants, not a field in the middle of nowhere.

Is the size of the van very important. I'm used to driving a long wheel base merc sprinter in recent years, is the overall 6-7mt easy to manoeuvre?

I'm just at the stage of trawling numerous sites seeing what a vast array of homes are available. Only 2+ dog means that I want as much cabin space as is realistic! a fixed bed! and one collapsible bed.

Look forward to finding more out, hope you are gentle with me:winky:

Any advice for reputable dealers in a 40 mile radius of Cardiff?

Alan

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
::bigsmile:Hi Catsflap:thumb::thumb:

WELCOME TO THE FUNSTERS

:fatbuddha::fatbuddha::fatbuddha::flyingwelcome:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
:party2::welcome::party2:

Can't helps with dealers I'm afraid (I'm from God's country [Northern division]:winky:)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi I'm Alan from South Wales.

Always a firmly negative person regarding camping.

As I've grown older, kids gone, find that European resort holidays are just not enough. I've now started to consider a luxury motor home for myself, my wife and our Welsh Springer Spaniel.

My concerns are what to do once I get to a site. As we will have a dog, walking would be the main form of transport. Do other motor home users move their vehicle regularly once on a site, or is it a case of being too much effort to move.

If the above hold, then I need to understand what sites are close to good amenities / shops / pubs / restaurants, not a field in the middle of nowhere.

Is the size of the van very important. I'm used to driving a long wheel base merc sprinter in recent years, is the overall 6-7mt easy to manoeuvre?

I'm just at the stage of trawling numerous sites seeing what a vast array of homes are available. Only 2+ dog means that I want as much cabin space as is realistic! a fixed bed! and one collapsible bed.

Look forward to finding more out, hope you are gentle with me:winky:

Any advice for reputable dealers in a 40 mile radius of Cardiff?

Alan

Hi Alan

As others have said, Welcome to the. FUN.

If you are used to LWB sprinter I can't see much problem with a decent sized motorhome, we are 8.5 metres and without any previous large vehicle experience I don't think there is a problem, and if there is it's the space that's too small not the van that's too big.

The living space in the van is more important if you are spending more time in the UK rather than somewhere sunny:ROFLMAO:.

There are plenty of places that you can stay and go for walks and not be far from shops etc, with experience you will build your own mental database of places that suit you. It's not just camp sites as you can join the camping and caravan club and/or the caravan club and they have a network of smaller CL's and CS's that offer space for just 5 motorhomes or caravans and can be in or near to pretty villages and countryside or close to larger towns.

Martin

BaileyMimi

Free Member
May 7, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi, I'm just getting my citroen c15,year 2000,next week. It's been a dream of mine for a long long time and I have finally decided to realise it. I have a large labradoodle so I am looking for suggestions for my first trip in the UK. I live in Shropshire so am on the borders of Wales but I am open to any ideas that would include a dog. Can anyone advise me ?
Thanks

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
Hi & Welcome!

We used to have one just slightly under 7m - it was never a problem to jump in & drive down the road for a pint of milk (we travelled France; Ireland & UK). New one is slightly bigger - 7.5m but I think we'll be able to do the same - just may not fit into parking bays the way the other did.

Pronto Motorhomes (Wales) usually sells off their stock of motorhomes around Sept if you can wait that long …..

Dot

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome, as you are at the start of your research, I would say why not have a look at Jims book on purchasing a motorhome, could save you quite a bit in money and time.

It is nice to jump in a buy a high end van, but the thing is make sure it's the one that suits your needs, do you want two single beds or a Island bed, or one which means climbing over each other in the night. Do you prefer a good lounge area that you can have friends in for a drink.

Do you want a garage for storage, I know you are looking in the Cardiff area but you could do worse than looking at John Cross Motorhomes, out of your area but you do get service you can rely on.

Keep asking the questions that's what the forum is all about. :welcomefunster:

OP
OP
C

Catsflap

Free Member
May 6, 2014
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Thanks all for the kind words.

Yes the obsession will start here. Money is not the over riding issue, fear of buying a vehicle that I will not use fully.

Will look at doing a few hire weekend, to get a feel and also see if this is correct for myself and my wife.

::bigsmile:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi Baileymimi & Catsflap and welcome to the Fun! :welcomefunster: