sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Tow Bar fitted today so all ready to hitch up the new trailer with smart on top,,then off we go,,,,,,Not towed behind MH before,,,does it tend to snake about now and again ? and what speed best to stay around ????? :Blush:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Not towed a Smart but if loaded correctly it shouldn't snake at all. I have towed a variety of trailers with a variety of loads behind a variety of vehicles and only badly loaded/balanced outfits ever caused me problems (first tow job was a 2 tonne Sherpa van on a twin axle trailer behind a Marina pick up, that was scary!:Eeek:). I've never used a stabiliser and never felt the need for one. Best speed is around 50-55MPH, any faster and you're going to burn diesel like its going out of fashion, any slower and your journey is goingt to be very long and very boring.

D.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Tow Bar fitted today so all ready to hitch up the new trailer with smart on top,,then off we go,,,,,,Not towed behind MH before,,,does it tend to snake about now and again ? and what speed best to stay around ????? :Blush:

You probably won't even know it's there after a few miles and you stop looking to see if it's still following you!, secondly no they don't snake like caravans because there are 4 wheels, not just 2 (or 4) in the centre. Thirdly max is 60mph on m/ways, 50 on single carriageways. We normally tow at about 56mph for economy on m/way, 45 on s/c.
Also not allowed in outside lane on m/ways- classed as a trailer.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
(first tow job was a 2 tonne Sherpa van on a twin axle trailer behind a Marina pick up, that was scary!:Eeek:).

D.

Talk about the tail wagging the dog !! Bet clean knickers were the order of the day after that one :Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as above 50-55 is the optimum speed on the motorway towing. but i would say that for the cost of it a stabiliser hitch will be a great help on a car transporter trailer. a well balanced trailer and load will avoid most snaking issues, but if you do get one, they can be frightening the first time you experience it.

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
You probably won't even know it's there after a few miles and you stop looking to see if it's still following you!, secondly no they don't snake like caravans because there are 4 wheels, not just 2 (or 4) in the centre. Thirdly max is 60mph on m/ways, 50 on single carriageways. We normally tow at about 56mph for economy on m/way, 45 on s/c.
Also not allowed in outside lane on m/ways- classed as a trailer.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

ours only 2 wheel micro trailer.....:Eeek:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just for info....:thumb:

I assume you have checked your weights, later Autotrails seem to have limited towing capacity..
My 2012 van is less than my 2005 model.. Down to the chassis extensions...
Mine has a stated max of 1050kg...

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Just for info....:thumb:

I assume you have checked your weights, later Autotrails seem to have limited towing capacity..
My 2012 van is less than my 2005 model.. Down to the chassis extensions...
Mine has a stated max of 1050kg...

ours is 2008 model and when asked we were told this is trailer we kneed to keep us under..guess i better check......:Sad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ours only 2 wheel micro trailer.....:Eeek:
definitely fit a hitch stabiliser then if its one of those. a lot of weight over 2 tyres and from what ive seen not enough towball weight. you can tell that because the weight of the car is balanced over the wheels to make it easier to move when unhitched. i watched one guy on a site unhitch his micro trailer by just lifting off the hitch and spin it on the spot with ease. sounds like its an excellent idea but you need towball weight to keep it stable on the road:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We towed our smartie down to Spain this year..
Phoenix 2 wheel trailer.. If it is a trailer made for a smartie it will not snack no matter what you do ! If it is NOT a smartie trailer, reverse on to it.
With the engine in the back Smarties are back heavy.. You need the trailer nose heavy

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Yesterday on the M25

On the way back from Gatwick yesterday we saw a car and caravan that had had a "wobble" jack knifed and was pointing the wrong way along the motorway around J20.

Timely reminder to take care and keep the unit stable. :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
We towed our smartie down to Spain this year..
Phoenix 2 wheel trailer.. If it is a trailer made for a smartie it will not snack no matter what you do ! If it is NOT a smartie trailer, reverse on to it.
With the engine in the back Smarties are back heavy.. You need the trailer nose heavy

its a brian james micro max trailer, gross weight 1300kg...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They are a REALLY great trailer to tow..
Should not admit it but we had to shift one with the Smart on it for someone a while ago in Germany.. As it was all panic and rush, we cruised on the autobahn at an indicated 90 at times.. I would not have known it was there !

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
They are a REALLY great trailer to tow..
Should not admit it but we had to shift one with the Smart on it for someone a while ago in Germany.. As it was all panic and rush, we cruised on the autobahn at an indicated 90 at times.. I would not have known it was there !

should i reverse car on or drive on ???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On the way back from Gatwick yesterday we saw a car and caravan that had had a "wobble" jack knifed and was pointing the wrong way along the motorway around J20.

Timely reminder to take care and keep the unit stable. :thumb::thumb:

i saw a largish caravan being (had been) towed by a tiny Honda activan....they were both on their sides on the hard shoulder.

The caravan was probably twice the weight and three times the size of the Honda :Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
should i reverse car on or drive on ???

The one we towed was a drive on forwards.. I do not think I have seen a reverse on one but they may exist..

Simple check.
Drive the car on, lift up the rear support legs and feel the weight on the nose. If you can just about lift it that is perfect !

Proper Smart car trailers have the axle slightly further back than normal to get the balance right :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back