Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Hi people :thumb:
Stayed at Stowford Farm for the last 5 nights, and had a gr8t weekend.
This morning decided to visit Combe Martin (A399) , but had an unfortunate bumping with a large branch some 8ft high, and protruding outwards (barsteward):cry::cry:
Now part of nearside overcab moulding badly damaged.:cry::cry:
Managed to get M/H home safely....will ring insurance in the morning
Gutted !!!!!:swear::swear:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
OUCH!! At least your not hurt!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do not panick ! There is at least one person on here who runs a company that will make short work of fixing it .. You are not the first and doubt you will be the last :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sorry to hear of your damage, there have been a number of trees come down in the area. Now what's your excuse for not popping in to see me, only a mile down the road and if you went to Woolacombe you passed the door.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Oh man I know how you feel did it on last van with a tree branch in a lakeside carpark. it hurts a lot, i was kicking myself for weeks.

you'll get it sorted soon enough. good luck:thumb:

OP
OP
themogs

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Sorry to hear of your damage, there have been a number of trees come down in the area. Now what's your excuse for not popping in to see me, only a mile down the road and if you went to Woolacombe you passed the door.

Hi Wildman...
Thanks for your empathy... wish we'd stayed.... Stowford Farm assistance not up to much( bunch of toxxxers), refused to lend me ladders to seal roof !!!!....talk about kicking a man when he's down !!!!
See you in August:thumb::thumb::thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Pity you didn`t take a photo...

Because if it was sticking out onto a public highway...

You have redress with the owner of the land it stands on or the council..

Much the same as Pot Holes...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Wildman...
Thanks for your empathy... wish we'd stayed.... Stowford Farm assistance not up to much( bunch of toxxxers), refused to lend me ladders to seal roof !!!!....talk about kicking a man when he's down !!!!
See you in August:thumb::thumb::thumb:
You should have given me a ring, I have ladders and sealant, you could have continued your holiday, still I trust you have sussed out where we are now. See you in August.

Last edited:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We were at Stowford too & had a few near misses with overhanging & protruding trees. Didn't help that the route that their website recommended was far from ideal with the road down to single lane at one point as the other side was crumbling away down the steep hill! We came back via Braunton on the advice of other motorhomers. Our first trip out to Cornwall a few weeks ago we had branches scuff the side & windows so starting to hate trees on the edge of the road now... Don't understand how such large branches are allowed to overhang & are not kept cut back in Devon & Cornwall - in our area the farmers have to keep hedges trimmed back & the Parish Councils enforce keeping access clear in the villages.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Sorry to hear of the knock.
A while ago I gently backed into a tree and equally gently pushed the bike rack into the bedroom. Several metres of duct tape got us home.
It was tricky finding a firm who wanted to to do the repair but in the end they made a fair job.
Bryn

OP
OP
themogs

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Sorry to hear of the knock.
A while ago I gently backed into a tree and equally gently pushed the bike rack into the bedroom. Several metres of duct tape got us home.
It was tricky finding a firm who wanted to to do the repair but in the end they made a fair job.
Bryn

Hi Bryn & Hilary
Great to hear from you guys... sod our accident
Hope to meet you soon...you'r gr8t company,

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hi chris/viv sorry to hear about you run in with the branch hope it wasn't from to much ale the night before or may be not enough:Eeek: looking forward to seeing you both at newbury:thumb:

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
hi Cris and Viv sorry to hear your bad luck we have had the same problem when a farmer forced us into the side of the road our van is metal so just creased the side a bit. hope this doesnt stop you attending the rallies. good luck with the repairs.

jeff and sue

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
We were at Stowford too & had a few near misses with overhanging & protruding trees. Didn't help that the route that their website recommended was far from ideal with the road down to single lane at one point as the other side was crumbling away down the steep hill! We came back via Braunton on the advice of other motorhomers. Our first trip out to Cornwall a few weeks ago we had branches scuff the side & windows so starting to hate trees on the edge of the road now... Don't understand how such large branches are allowed to overhang & are not kept cut back in Devon & Cornwall - in our area the farmers have to keep hedges trimmed back & the Parish Councils enforce keeping access clear in the villages.

Apparently it's down to EU guidelines for protecting wildlife according to a farmer friend. They are only allowed to cut back their hedgerows by around 2% of the total each year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back