Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we were at Peterborough we had a good shuftie at the dog bed 'igloos' that were for sale but they were a bit on the big side for our camper, both for when in use, but for storing during the day, especially as we'd need 2 of them for our smallest doggies ... hopefully to encourage them to stay there rather than want to be on the bed with us! :cry:

Anyway, it got me thinking about if I could make a more 'streamlined' type of igloo as, after all, only the base needs to be actually padded, not the sides, so I had a play with a pop-up laundry hamper and an existing dog bed which I could probably adapt to do what I want, however when I was looking at dog beds on Ebay the other day I came across these which would be easier to adapt:

Broken Link Removed

I know they haven't got much of a base but that's not a problem as I can easily make some nice padded bed cushions for them, and also black-out covers for the sides to go over the netting/wire to give the igloo effect and which could be removed to still allow them to be squished during the day and packed away.

What do ya think? Worth a try?:Smile:

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't the dogs get really cold? :Blush:

Well, I've already made them their own duvets so they shouldn't! ::bigsmile:

I'm trying to 'create' a safe space so they don't feel the need to come on the bed with us, and also to block the light out a bit as, even with the blinds etc down, some still gets through and wakes them up.

The little ones aren't toooooo much of a problem on the bed unless they're in a particularly 'riddly' mode. :Doh: The problem is when our much larger dog (cross staffie/greyhound) wants to join them as she gets 'jealous' and I end up being shoved up against the rear doors!!! :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Ours feel right at ho!e when we trevel that's cos we actually break there home in half & take it with us :winky:
They travel with there house, beds, food bowls, etc all in there own mobile home...

The hardest part is getting the guinea pig cage in the motorhome :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ours feel right at ho!e when we trevel that's cos we actually break there home in half & take it with us :winky:
They travel with there house, beds, food bowls, etc all in there own mobile home...

The hardest part is getting the guinea pig cage in the motorhome :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
... funnily enough ... we used to take our pet rats with us on holiday ... they used to have a lovely time!!! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well, decided to 'bite the bullet' and 'treat' our little monsters to some 'pet caves' rather than try to make something myself (that makes a change!!! :RollEyes:).

I've bought a couple of these for them, that way they can use them at home and in the camper too so should be happy to use them when we're away ... well, that's the theory anyway! ::bigsmile:

I'll let you know what they think of them!

Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• pet cave.jpg
    pet cave.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Wow, what service! The dog beds have arrived and the dogs LOVE THEM!!!

Tazzy went in of her own accord straight away and once we'd shown Lily hers she went in it too, both settled down without being asked!

Attachments

• tazzy.jpg
    tazzy.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 27
  • lily.jpg
    lily.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 25
Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
oooh they look comfy, may get 2 for my little uns :Smile:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
What size are your dogs Minx? I can see they are terrier types but are they big or small for their type? I am wondering if these beds would be big enough for our border terrier?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We have a cross Chihuahua/Jack Russell aka a 'Chisel' (the white/brown one) and a brown Patterdale. I've just measured them and both are about 31cm from floor to top of shoulder and 60cm from tip of nose to base of tail (I didn't measure to the end of tail as one only has a stubby bit! :RollEyes:) so pretty similar to a Border Terrier. Tazzy (Chisel) had tucked herself more into the 'cave' than Lily (Patterdale) so she still had some room to spare so i think it would be pretty much ideal for your dog assuming it's not a 'monster'! ::bigsmile:

The bed measures 65cm side to side and 59cm back to front. The 'hood' is removable so they can be used without them, and the whole lot is removable for washing. I did look on the web for alternative suppliers but no-one came close to the Ebay price for the exactly the same bed. There are some others, dearer, but they don't have the zip off top or covers so not as good.

The Ebay seller has just put on a new listing with a few more but it looks like one has been sold already, so if you want one I'd get in quick as at that price I don't think they'll be around for long:

Broken Link Removed

As I'm typing, guess where our two have just gone and laid!! :thumb:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks Mel

I will measure her tomorrow. She's fast a sleep recovering from a little op that she had today. They look so vulnerable when they are off colour, I haven't got the heart to disturb her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Poor little thing ... as a girl I used to work with would saw ".... awe .... blessssss....." ::bigsmile:

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
I ordered 2 of the same beds should be here tomorrow , but I didn't get them from the same seller as you Minx, I looked around on ebay first and found another seller had the same identical ones same colour same size and they were on special offer BOGOF + free delivery for £16 ..thats what I call a bargain :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Silvia

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I ordered 2 of the same beds should be here tomorrow , but I didn't get them from the same seller as you Minx, I looked around on ebay first and found another seller had the same identical ones same colour same size and they were on special offer BOGOF + free delivery for £16 ..thats what I call a bargain :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Silvia

How about sharing the info on where for others to benefit from? :Smile:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I just wish Funsters would stop showing me bargains.:Smile:

It is costing me a fortune:Smile:

What with mifi's :Smile: SIM cards And now dog caves:Smile:

I must have spent hundreds of pounds on all these bargains over the years:Smile:

I cannot resist a bargain, whether it is needed or not:Smile:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Poki, I'm not totally convinced that they are the same - ours has zips so the inners can be removed and the top taken off completely, I'll be interested to see a picture of the actual beds when they arrive.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
here is the same one at a fortune:Smile:
Only for the rich:Smile:
Broken Link Removed

And another, which shows how they come apart.
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
The ones I bought look exactly the same to me, but I will let you know when they arrive if they have a zip or not. To be honest it really doesn't bother me whether they have a zip or not for that money, and I know the dogs wont care :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

handy to know how they do come apart though , thanks for that :thumb:

silvia

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
:Eeek: they having laugh ent they , the only difference I can see is the colour:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: good job I didn't want 2 blue ones:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

silvia

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
wow .... well what can I say , beds arrived this morning and yes they do have 2 zips one to take top off and another to to take covers of to wash as shown in the pictures that lesleyjean put on. They are are nice and thick good quality so I am well pleased, so yes Minx I am pleased to say they sound and look identical to yours:thumb: :Smile:

Silvia

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
So impressed with them , so are the dogs they love them so I have just ordered 2 more :thumb: so I have 2 spares to use when I wash them and also to use in motorhome ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back