6 weeks to South of France - leaving van behind!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Can you believe it!?

In our madness, we've decided to head to the south of france (again) this summer - but this time give the van a rest and just cycle down :Doh:

So we're taking our mountain bikes (which we normally do down-hill biking on), slinging some panniers on, buying a tent and just heading down. Our route is around 1000 miles probably :Eeek: and we've never cycled anywhere near that. Ever. All our cycling is normally down mountains after getting a ski lift to the top!

Bizzarely, its so much more expensive than the campervan - spend £00's on new kit (and toys) - and we'll have to pay for the campsites all the way down. Still - we should be slim and fit by the time we hit the med!

(Anyone know if ACSI cards work with tent + cyclists?)

Will be blogged as usual but may not upload pics till we get back - as won't have laptop with me :cry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It will end in tears.

A cycle without an engine. Doesn't make any sense.

You will soon agree with me as you massage gunge into your rapidly deteriorating legs.

The consolation, you won't get done for speeding or drink driving and, oh boy, will you turn to drink but no sex, not hope in hell of managing that.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
It will end in tears.
...will you turn to drink but no sex, not hope in hell of managing that.

Probably not the, err, catholic way lol! Though will have good shorts and seats.

Though we will have a non-soundproof tent, so thanks for reminding me, will need to pack a gag :whatthe::Eeek::ROFLMAO:

(edit: Hoping to have a week on the Atlantic coast, and a week on the med before we head back, so plenty of time to chill. Biggest issue - no fridge so can't carry cold beer!!!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We are slightly more sensible and are taking our bikes in the motorhome so as we will be in the south of France this summer we will keep an eye out for you and have a cold beer ready for you ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
We are slightly more sensible and are taking our bikes in the motorhome so as we will be in the south of France this summer we will keep an eye out for you and have a cold beer ready for you ::bigsmile:
That is the hope :) We are hoping to bump into friends in a couple of places, but may wander (like cowboys) around looking for English vans lol!

We've done the sensible approach (if you call blatting down mountains in full body armour sensible) - just fancied a challenge :) And if you look at some of Jims posts - do it before its too late.

Oh - leave in 4 weeks - and not really doing any training.:Doh: Thats what the first week is for surely...?!:RollEyes:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I think you'll be class zero on the Autoroute, some benefit:ROFLMAO:

Actually I'm extremely impressed and will follow your blog.

Watch out for those lycra clad boys zipping around France this summer, you may get caught up in the pelaton:whatthe:

What will you be riding and what prep have you done to the bikes ?

Good luck

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Good luck if you want some camping kit and a coolbag just look on my website:thumb:

Peter

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
I think you'll be class zero on the Autoroute, some benefit:ROFLMAO:

Actually I'm extremely impressed and will follow your blog.

Watch out for those lycra clad boys zipping around France this summer, you may get caught up in the pelaton:whatthe:

What will you be riding and what prep have you done to the bikes ?

Good luck

http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/2014/04/bike-preparation/
Specialized Hardrock Pro disk & Myka Elite - so hard tail mountain bikes (!). Really, apart from servicing them, just swapping the tyres to almost slick, sticking a pannier rack, and suspension seat post and gel saddle - not a lot...

The route we're taking is mainly cycle routes - and most of that looks off road. I'd say 85% marked cycle routes (if not more) - and 80-90% of that "off road". Longer (by 40%) than direct D roads, but looks far prettier. Full route is on blog (zoomable with google street map integration). Not taking maps. Just following GPS track on the phone :)

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
I dont envy you cycling through the massif central....even the Kontiki struggled up some of those hills. :roflmto:

Its flat :) Ran the GPX route through an elevation calculator - only 195m difference maximum over the entire route, and 7952m over the entire journey. So its not that bad... (assuming my data is correct...)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Have you ever cycled on the Med coast in summer before?

I spent an August afternoon cycling the track through the Camargue salt marshes from Saintes Maries de la Mer and nearly did myself in, and I wasn't hauling camping equipment.

I mean fair enough, I'm not super fit and hadn't cycled down to the Camargue in the first place, but believe me when I tell you that hot is extremely hot down there.

Still, look on the plus side - maybe it'll be raining. :Smile:

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Have you ever cycled on the Med coast in summer before?

I spent an August afternoon cycling the track through the Camargue salt marshes from Saintes Maries de la Mer and nearly did myself in, and I wasn't hauling camping equipment.

I mean fair enough, I'm not super fit and hadn't cycled down to the Camargue in the first place, but believe me when I tell you that hot is extremely hot down there.

Still, look on the plus side - maybe it'll be raining. :Smile:

Not yet....(!) Thanks for warning. We should be on the med early July, so hope to avoid most of the heat. Return home from Montpellier so not much cycling iin July - assuming we make it there by then!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I dont envy you cycling through the massif central....even the Kontiki struggled up some of those hills. :roflmto:

I'll second that - we went through that area for the first time about three weeks ago from Puy en Velay to Puy de Dome and I couldn't believe how massif it was. It reminded me of the alpine route from Grenoble to Montgenevre. No shortage of French nutters on racing bikes (as always) but my God what a slog those hills would be.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
I'll second that - we went through that area for the first time about three weeks ago from Puy en Velay to Puy de Dome and I couldn't believe how massif it was. It reminded me of the alpine route from Grenoble to Montgenevre. No shortage of French nutters on racing bikes (as always) but my God what a slog those hills would be.

Thats fine, see above, not going anywhere near the hills :) You think we're mad?!

Oh.... :)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Camelbak and double water bottles, Co2 cartridges, more puncture repairs than you can shake a stick at.... I'm a road cyclist so I am paranoid about punctures

I'd think about the cold mornings as well. I ride quite early in summer and usually still use a short sleeve shirt (with vest) separate arm sleeves that I take off as the morning warms up.

Sounds like it's going to be a great experience.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Just a thought but if thing get tough,France has an excellent canal system which mostly has tow paths and canals keep on the level you could base your route on these. Martin.:Smile:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
Just a thought but if thing get tough,France has an excellent canal system which mostly has tow paths and canals keep on the level you could base your route on these. Martin.:Smile:

Like the signature (Do I need a frontal labotomy or another bottle in front of me?)::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Good for you , a dream to live :thumb:

Me,-- too many pubs with beer and food to cycle past ,I would never get to the ferry crossing this end in the first week:ROFLMAO:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Municipal site.

Probably not the, err, catholic way lol! Though will have good shorts and seats.

Though we will have a non-soundproof tent, so thanks for reminding me, will need to pack a gag :whatthe::Eeek::ROFLMAO:

(edit: [HI]Hoping to have a week on the Atlantic coast[/HI], and a week on the med before we head back, so plenty of time to chill. Biggest issue - no fridge so can't carry cold beer!!!)

Google Le Gurp for a great site, no need to book !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Google Le Gurp for a great site, no need to book !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Bizzarely, that is one (of about 3) we looked at just to get an idea of prices - its a Municipal one and for the life of us we could not find any info or prices. But we know where it is, and may well pop in!

Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back