Towing a trail or (2 Viewers)

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thinking of buying a fiat 500 and towing it on a trailor we have a swift kontiki 669 tag axle 2.2 litre engine any advice on towing is the engine man enough and where's the best place to get the trailor :thumb:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
You need to know your gross vehicle weight and your gross train weight, take one away from the other and then you will know your towing weight.

ie. Mine is 3500kgs and 5500kgs therefore 2000kgs difference.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Good advice off Paul - a lot of the tags have a very low tow capacity.

Trikeman. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Paul is bang on, the other thing to take into account is your licence, if you passed your car test before Jan 97 then you are fine as you will have C1+E giving a max train weight of 8250kg.

All the best Rick

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Commonly known as a grandad licence, but you don't have to be one::bigsmile:
A single axle would probably be ok for so small a car, and there are a couple of firms make one mainly designed for the smart car, and they sort of fold up to store in the garage. I have a link somewhere but may have to come back with it.

Can't find the folding one but here is one firm, or just google trailer for smart car or minicar. http://www.armitagetrailers.com/Cartransportertrailers.htm

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Commonly known as a [HI]grandad licence[/HI], but you don't have to be one::bigsmile:
A single axle would probably be ok for so small a car, and there are a couple of firms make one mainly designed for the smart car, and they sort of fold up to store in the garage. I have a link somewhere but may have to come back with it.

or more correctly 'Grandfather rights' but amounts to the same thing.

pre jan 1997 = C1+E = 8250kg (Grandfather rights)
post jan 1997 = B (with trailer up to a combined mass of 3500kg) = 3500kg

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Commonly known as a grandad licence, but you don't have to be one::bigsmile:

How long has 36 years of age been old enough to put people into the "grandad" category? I know that there are 28 year old grandparents but having a grandad category that includes 36 yr olds just makes me feel old :cry:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I tow a new shape ford Ka (see my avatar) which is the sister car to the fiat 500. The trailer I use is a williams transporter CT115 (I think). The car and trailer come to 1350kg, well within the 1800kg I am allowed with the old Kon tiki 600.
You may just get away with it being a tag axle but I would definitely check closely.
My engine is the 2.8jtd and I can easily forget I am towing on the motorways.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
How long has 36 years of age been old enough to put people into the "grandad" category? I know that there are 28 year old grandparents but having a grandad category that includes 36 yr olds just makes me feel old :cry:

Oi I was a grandpa at 34 and a great grandpa at 59 and more great grandchildren imminent :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: and at 62 I am still a youngster :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: John mentioned B+E licences be careful it has changed twice since post 97 but if you stick with johns post of 3500kg train weight you will not fall foul of any laws as that is the latest incarnation as of Jan 12 or 13 can't remember which :Blush: should do its my job after all :RollEyes:

All the best Rick

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I tow a new shape ford Ka (see my avatar) which is the sister car to the fiat 500. The trailer I use is a williams transporter CT115 (I think). The car and trailer come to 1350kg, well within the 1800kg I am allowed with the old Kon tiki 600.
You may just get away with it being a tag axle but I would definitely check closely.
My engine is the 2.8jtd and I can easily forget I am towing on the motorways.

Remember the law looks at the plated weights of the tow vehicle and trailer not the actual weight, unless of course these are exceeded :thumb:

All the best Rick

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Remember the law looks at the plated weights of the tow vehicle and trailer not the actual weight, unless of course these are exceeded :thumb:

All the best Rick

Quite right, I shouold/could have been a bit clearer, (from memory) the trailer weighs in at approx 350kg and can carry about 1050kg, plated. The Ka weighs about 950kg/1000kg.
The kon tiki 600 has a max train weight of about 5200kg and its max laden weight is 3400kg according to the book, so giving me enough to be within the permissible. I think i've got it right else i'm in deep doo doo :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I was going to mention the plated weight of the trailer but it looks like Rick beat me to it. not surprising as its part of his profession. where else can you get such knowledgeable answers to a technical question freely offered?

as for towing any trailer behind a tag axle motorhome, you have to be very careful to fit in with the regulations. the government agency formerly known as VOSA are cracking down on leisure use vehicles and are particularly interested in heavy trailers. tag axles have a particularly low train weight compared to the weight of the vehicle restricting the weight of any trailer and load, often below that needed to tow a car. the authorities know this so will spot and target such vehicles towing cars as a priority

if you buy a trailer capable of carrying 2000kg, then you must use this weight+ the weight of the trailer in your calculations. whatever you do you must never exceed the maximum permissible train weight of your vehicle shown on the vehicle plate

get it wrong and not only is there a substantial fine for being over weights, you will not be allowed to continue on your journey. this may mean leaving your trailer behind to collect later with a suitable vehicle and having another driver bring the car. its a right royal pain in the backside to sort such things. I know of a few people that have had to phone a friend to come collect some of their load and trailers, including in 2 cases horses transferred to another horse box after being stopped and weighed. dont think that a breakdown organisation such as the aa or rac will help either as you were breaking the law so they have an opt out in their terms and conditions

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
My tag axle can according to the plates tow 1000kg which isn't enough to tow an early smart on a trailer.

Be sure you look at the weight plates fitted by the converter as they will be the correct ones.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Quite right, I shouold/could have been a bit clearer, (from memory) the trailer weighs in at approx 350kg and can carry about 1050kg, plated. The Ka weighs about 950kg/1000kg.
The kon tiki 600 has a max train weight of about 5200kg and its max laden weight is 3400kg according to the book, so giving me enough to be within the permissible. I think i've got it right else i'm in deep doo doo :thumb:
are you certain that such a big van only has a maximum laden weight of 3400kg and that isnt the kerbside weight unladen?

basically you are towing 1400kg theoretically although actual weight is below this. so provided your van max permissible laden weight is under 3800kg you should be ok. personally I would be concerned that given your figures you are near the maximum load for the trailer. so you shouldnt put any load in the car

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Although I was not warned by the dealer I bought from even though I asked him to fit a tow bar, I subsequently found out from a good friend who actually runs a motorhome delership in Southampton that it has a max towing capacity of 1 tonne.. Not a problem for me as my rig weighs ( a very close ) 990 kilos.. But that is with a smarty and a pheonix trailer

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
are you certain that such a big van only has a maximum laden weight of 3400kg and that isnt the kerbside weight unladen?

basically you are towing 1400kg theoretically although actual weight is below this. so provided your van max permissible laden weight is under 3800kg you should be ok. personally I would be concerned that given your figures you are near the maximum load for the trailer. so you shouldnt put any load in the car

Yes pretty certain on that one, 3400kg. According to the figures, with the fuel tank at 90% and water 90% and average driver of 75kg, it comes in at about 3135kg unladen. Thats not allowing for extras like domes and solar panels etc.
As for the trailer, yes it is near the mark, so the car is always empty, apart from maybe some clothes etc, nearly always an empty fuel tank, and the trailer spare wheel in the van. :thumb:

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
Thank you all for the information on this post and one running a couple off days ago.
As the OP, we are looking at buying a Kontiki 669, the Swift website gives the following details.
Maximum technical permissable weight 5000kgs
Gross train weight 6000kgs
Maximum recommended trailer weight 1600kgs
Bike on a trailer weighs 310 kgs for trailer 495kgs for bike total 805kgs.
The trailer will be new, nomally plated at 1500kgs, looks like I will have to request it is plated at 1000kgs to keep VOSA at bay if I am understanding this correctly.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
train weights

KKontiki 669 2008 max towing weight 1600kg

Brian James Smart trailer 300k ( I have one) Fiat 500 800kg? Hyundai i10 (I use 980kg) Still under 6000kg max with ample payload. in the MH.

Or use an A frame towing attachment if in the UK Your Fiat and A frame will be well under 1000kg. Even more payload in the MH

Martin:thumb:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
just got a brian james trailer for our smart car,,,cost £1995.00 from sheffield,,,,,tow bar going on our autotrail tomorrow....:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Brian James Smart trailer 300k ( I have one) Fiat 500 800kg? Hyundai i10 (I use 980kg) Still under 6000kg max with ample payload. in the MH.

Or use an A frame towing attachment if in the UK Your Fiat and A frame will be well under 1000kg. Even more payload in the MH

It is not about all up weight.. It is the fac the chassis cannot take it ! So if you pull away a bit sharpish and hear a horrible tortured metal tearing sort of sound you will know you have no longer got a trailer on the back !!!

But if the kontiki can handle 1600 kg it will not be an issue for you.. Unlucky me with the autocruise ( which I was under the impression was on the same chassis type as the Kontiki ? ) only has a max towing ability of 1000kg

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We`re always bemused by people towing a car behind their motorhome.

If you need a car when you get to your destination why not just use the family car to tow a caravan....OR do what we do, if we feel the need to get about sight seeing and don`t want to use the motorhome we just hire a car.

Looking at the cost of buying a Tow Car, running expenses, Tax, Ins etc. then cost of Trailor and Tow Bar we`re thinking you can hire a lot of cars for that, always have a new vehicle and don`t have the worry of towing it.:Doh:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Yes pretty certain on that one, 3400kg. According to the figures, with the fuel tank at 90% and water 90% and average driver of 75kg, it comes in at about 3135kg unladen. Thats not allowing for extras like domes and solar panels etc.
As for the trailer, yes it is near the mark, so the car is always empty, apart from maybe some clothes etc, nearly always an empty fuel tank, and the trailer spare wheel in the van. :thumb:

I would load your Motorhome for traveling then with the wife go and put it on a weigh bridge to check its actual travelling weight also go to a weigh bridge that can weigh front and rear axles to make sure they are not overloaded then load the trailer take that to the weigh bridge and get that weighed, because I think you could be very close, better be safe than sorry :thumb:

All the best Rick

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

Remember when using an a frame the weight will be the gross weight of the car + the weight of the A frame :thumb:

All the best Rick

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
We`re always bemused by people towing a car behind their motorhome.

If you need a car when you get to your destination why not just use the family car to tow a caravan....OR do what we do, if we feel the need to get about sight seeing and don`t want to use the motorhome we just hire a car.

Looking at the cost of buying a Tow Car, running expenses, Tax, Ins etc. then cost of Trailor and Tow Bar we`re thinking you can hire a lot of cars for that, always have a new vehicle and don`t have the worry of towing it.:Doh:
Dont quite agree with your logic i would much rather tow a small car than a heavy caravan,and you dont have to run two cars,most small cars now are zero rated for tax.I caravaned for the best part of 40yrs and would not go back to towing a caravan.:roflmto: JohnM

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Remember when using an a frame the weight will be the gross weight of the car + the weight of the A frame :thumb:

All the best Rick

Just to clarify this is that gross weight on the weight plate or actual kerb weight as it would be on an a frame.

If it is gross weight off the weight plate a smart 450 comes in at around 950kg but actually weighs around 750kg

In the same light a Peugeot 107 comes in at around 1200kg plated but around 800 kerb weight.
In the documentation my motorhome has a towing capacity of 1800kg but with a max weight of 5000kg and a train weight of 6000kg the 1800 is just a fictional figure. Incidentally my motorhome weighs in at 4120 empty with 80% fuel (weigh bridge checked) so maybe that's where the 1800 comes in.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
just had another thought, as mentioned go to the weigh bridge with van and trailer both loaded. the nose weight of the trailer will generally be around 100kg by design. however 100kg on the towball will normally be nearer a 150kg load on the rear axle of the van

it really can get complicated to take account of all the factors:Doh:

never take the sales literature as gospel though, as figures given in a brochure for kerb weight and towing capacities are always overly optimistic. much like the quoted MPG figures

Apr 30, 2008
aldridge
Funster No
MH
waiting
Exp
8yrs
I've had two Kontiki 669's,my first one in 2010 could tow 2000kgs.I used
to tow a Renault modus on a trailer.
My second one in 2012 could only tow 1550kgs,so had to get a littler car
Kia Picanto,which I also towed on a trailer.
There is one difference between my Kontiki's they both had the 3 litre
engine with automatic gearbox,but a Swift Bolero 2.3 can tow 2000kgs.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Or use an A frame towing attachment if in the UK[HI] Your Fiat and A frame will be well under 1000kg.[/HI] Even more payload in the MH

Extremely unlikely Martin.

the weigh used by VOSA is the towed vehicles plated [HI]GROSS weight[/HI]....not what it weighs at the time.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you all for the information on this post and one running a couple off days ago.
As the OP, we are looking at buying a Kontiki 669, the Swift website gives the following details.
Maximum technical permissable weight 5000kgs
Gross train weight 6000kgs
Maximum recommended trailer weight 1600kgs
Bike on a trailer weighs 310 kgs for trailer 495kgs for bike total 805kgs.
The trailer will be new, nomally plated at 1500kgs, looks like I will have to request it is plated at 1000kgs to keep VOSA at bay if I am understanding this correctly.

you wouldnt HAVE to as the recommended max allowable trailer weight is 1600kg.....but you would lose 600kg of payload in the van.

gross weight and train weight have little in common in real terms.
if the tow vehicle is light then the trailer can make up the weight up to the plated train weight..
ie: the vans actual loaded weight is 4000kg then the trailer could effectively be 2000kg and still be within train weight limits.

the 1600kg limit is a manufacturer/converter recommendation.....not a hard and fast limit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back