Tan hill (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Another meet idea I have had is at the tan hill inn. Never been there myself. But wat I have heard the pubs nice as well as the food. Wat do people think.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not a real lot of parking....ok for a small meet maybe.

last time i was there (maybe 8 years ago) we parked on the opposite verge which looked like it doubled as a rough unofficial carpark.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I remember as a young lad being told we could have a pint at that pub, we'd marched around ten miles in full battle order to get there and it was shut. :Doh: the instructors knew it would be, sadistic bastards::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I remember as a young lad being told we could have a pint at that pub, we'd marched around ten miles in full battle order to get there and it was shut. :Doh: the instructors knew it would be, sadistic bastards::bigsmile:

Would that be in basic, Jim?
Catterick to Warcop?

Guilty sadistic bastard as charged.:thumb:

Your sadistic bastard Pl Sgt was??

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Would that be in basic, Jim?
Catterick to Warcop?

Guilty sadistic bastard as charged.:thumb:

Your sadistic bastard Pl Sgt was??

Aggghhhhhhhhh........You know, almost forgotten that......Warcop I mean. Did our Cent live firing there.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

Mine was sgt mcintosh. The gaz chamber was rank name number girlfriends name your mother name the team u support are by this time u breathed in the gas then u was running about like a headless chicken.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Wasn't the Tan Hill Inn used by EVEREST double glazing with the late Ted Moult to advertise the strength of their glass. Used to drop a heavy weight against the Window.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Mine was sgt mcintosh. The gaz chamber was rank name number girlfriends name your mother name the team u support are by this time u breathed in the gas then u was running about like a headless chicken.

Character building and good fun for the staff.:thumb:

I was at DQD 74/75 or 75/76, cant remember which.

Edit:
Just checked mess photos: 74 / 75.

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Did you get the "Sorry, Lad. Wasn't ready, tell me again" routine?:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wasn't the Tan Hill Inn used by EVEREST double glazing with the late Ted Moult to advertise the strength of their glass. Used to drop a heavy weight against the Window.

certainly was.....then they dropped a real clanger, they {allegedly} never had planning permission for the glazing.

wonder how the authorities found out ? :Doh:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Yes the Everest ad was filmed there. We go at least 2/3 times a year . Nice spot.
There's a small car park at the side( we've stayed over night in there) a small roadside parking space opposite the pub , suitable for only cars really. Then further away a couple of hundred yards past the pub there's a hard cored area. Probably get 6 average sized MH on it.
If you were going to do a meet it would have to be the hard cored area I'd guess.
The pub gets lots of cars and motorbikes visiting it throughout the year all year round. They have bands on etc and school trips where visitors camp out in tents at the back of the pub . So I'm sure they wouldn't want the main car parking areas blocking up.
Great for a mini meet. They charge £5 for the van then £2 for each person. It goes in a charity bottle on the bar.
Water and Elsan. There is an outside loo, but I wouldn't let my dog use it. :thumb:

Morrigan

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've got biker friends up there now. I was hoping to get there myself but am on "mother duty". She is poorly, bless her.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes the Everest ad was filmed there. We go at least 2/3 times a year . Nice spot.
There's a small car park at the side( we've stayed over night in there) a small roadside parking space opposite the pub , suitable for only cars really. Then further away [HI]a couple of hundred yards past the pub there's a hard cored area.[/HI] Probably get 6 average sized MH on it.
If you were going to do a meet it would have to be the hard cored area I'd guess.
The pub gets lots of cars and motorbikes visiting it throughout the year all year round. They have bands on etc and school trips where visitors camp out in tents at the back of the pub . So I'm sure they wouldn't want the main car parking areas blocking up.
Great for a mini meet. [HI]They charge £5 for the van then £2 for each person.[/HI] It goes in a charity bottle on the bar.
Water and Elsan. There is an outside loo, but I wouldn't let my dog use it. :thumb:

thats gone up a bit........we were 'charged' a couple of quid but nobody actually collected it.

seen this area on google earth but couldnt figure out if it was accessible or fenced in.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We were there 3 weekends ago .
Infact the bloke behind the bar said "fiver for the van and £2 each , lets call it a tenner shall we seeing as though it's for charity! Cheers mate, put it in the bottle.":ROFLMAO:
But the last time we went ,probably 6 month before it was just a fiver .
Still worth it .
You can get into the hard standing gravelled bit , no gate. We stop there if there's no room in the car park at the side. But as I said it's not that big .

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Well worth the visit, though................although plan your route well, the road up from Hawes, via Keld is 'interesting..........in places :Eeek:
much easier is the run in from Reeth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back