Well I did it (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Just done my first trip driving the motorhome abroad I have driven the car over there many times but this was my first time driving a motorhome.
Had 3 nights in Ypres :thumb:and 3 nights just south of Calais at Escalles.:thumb:
Had a fantastic time and the weather was quite good.:Cool:
Only had 1 mishap ...on Friday we decided to walk to Cap Blanc Nez and as we got into the village my ankle went over and I fell and gashed my knee ripped my best jeans:cry::cry: but fortunately a car that was passing stopped and the woman was a nurse they drove us back to the campsite and she commandeered
the reception first aid box and cleaned and dressed my cut knee.
There are good people in the world:thumb:

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Glad to hear it turned out well, there are some good people indeed!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup.. Woman fell off her bike in France a couple of years ago and the amount of concern shown by the good people of France was nothing short of amazing..

Have an accident in the UK and all you get are swan neckers !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if you do not offer assistance in France at the seen of any accident you are braking the law I have herd sum one will be along soon to shoot me down in flames :thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Well done with the driving abroad. Another milestone reached. Sorry to hear about the fall. Hopefully you're now right and able, ready for your next adventure:thumb:

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
if you do not offer assistance in France at the seen of any accident you are braking the law I have herd sum one will be along soon to shoot me down in flames :thumb:

I think you are correct Bill. It's known as "The Good Samaritan Law" or similar if memory serves me correctly.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am so glad that you enjoyed the driving experience, which I find to be generally much nicer than driving in the UK. Something you have to test out before believing it.
Now you have opened the gates, perhaps your next visit will include the French Aires, which is yet another joy to come.
Hope you are feeling better now.

Alan

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I am so glad that you enjoyed the driving experience, which I find to be generally much nicer than driving in the UK. Something you have to test out before believing it.
Now you have opened the gates, perhaps your next visit will include the French Aires, which is yet another joy to come.
Hope you are feeling better now.

Alan
It's a confidence thing I think ....fear of the unknown :Eeek:.....when we took the car across I quite often drove that and have always been used to driving the motorhomes over here
David always did the driving of the motorhome abroad and I was navigator:Smile:
I agree it is so much easier driving abroad and now I have done it I have confidence to do it again.:thumb:
Always loved the French aires and I'm sure will be visiting them again later this year:Smile:

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Well done with the driving abroad. Another milestone reached. Sorry to hear about the fall. Hopefully you're now right and able, ready for your next adventure:thumb:
Knee is healing well thank you a bit swollen but the gash is a lot better she used a cream called Citadryl on it and its amazing stuff:Smile:
Next trip is down to Shepton Mallett as I'm judging at Bath and West show beginning of June :thumb:

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Sounds good to me :thumb: far better than the Bystander Apathy practiced in UK ::bigsmile:

Mike.
I make a habit of falling over:Smile: comes free with my ms :Smile:and a couple years ago when I was leaving our local bank I fell on the pavement.
It was amazing how many people just walked past and looked at me in a heap on the floor. It was two young women who ran from down the road to help me.They insisted on getting me to my car and making sure I was ok to drive.
You are right it is bystander apathy

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Have an accident in the UK and all you get are swan neckers !

Yes, then questions like "Why did you have to get involved". We are a strange race, or at least some are!

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s

No shooting down in flames Bill!!
You are absolutely right,have to assist,first aid box,rubber gloves,even if you don't know what you are doing haha.
Seriously most French are very helpful in an event like that,as things used to be in the UK,what happened?????

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
No shooting down in flames Bill!!
You are absolutely right,have to assist,first aid box,rubber gloves,even if you don't know what you are doing haha.
Seriously most French are very helpful in an event like that,as things used to be in the UK,what happened?????
fer of being sued I will always stop to assist someone in need:thumb:

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
That is a huge step and one that opens so many doors in motorhome friendly Europe. you are so much freer abroad and unlike GB it doesn't matter if you don't reach the campsite as planned - there is always an aire,sosta or stelleplatz nearby.
Hope the injury is healing well ready for your next adventure.
Lucille
Staging Lady

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back