Wheel bearing on boxer (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Anyone had trouble with wheel bearings on peugots or any of the others , when we bought ours it came with service history and had a bill for a new front near side wheel bearing at 20000 miles, well went to fill up for France this morning and got a rumbling noise from the front and lo and behold it's the wheel bearing gone again , same one at 30000, going to have a rush round to get one before Wednesday when we are off, anyone else had a problem with them? Or any idea why it's gone again, btw they charged £153 for the bearing and £200 for labour:Eeek: just priced one up at £30:Doh:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I found them at £65 on Ebay and £115 + vat from Fiat by Googling' Fiat Motorhome wheel bearing'. So there seems to be some variance in prices. One comment says they are difficult to remove: Me? I know nothing!

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I found them at £65 on Ebay and £115 + vat from Fiat by Googling' Fiat Motorhome wheel bearing'. So there seems to be some variance in prices. One comment says they are difficult to remove: Me? I know nothing!

Alan

Have you done one, was it difficult, havnt tried it yet , just pricing them up, did you have the whole hub or just the bearing in it?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have you done one, was it difficult, havnt tried it yet , just pricing them up, did you have the whole hub or just the bearing in it?

Anyone??? Please
Got to have this done for Wednesday everywhere will be shut Monday

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I hate doing wheel bearings & am never going to touch one again

A press is required forget pullers & hammers they take all day...

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I hate doing wheel bearings & am never going to touch one again

A press is required forget pullers & hammers they take all day...

So are the ones complete with hub the best bet at about£120

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think youll find the hub is the hub on its own & then you have to add the cost of the wheel bearing.
according to eurocarparts cheapest bearing is £40 & Hub £83

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
N/S by any chance ?

10k It couldnt have been tightened properly.....

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
boxer ,ducato,are all the same .

done all four in mine within the last few weeks also got spare bearing and brake kit .tools,and spares. would advice learning basic mechanics, a must if you own a motorhome:ROFLMAO:gearbox maintenance and oil check in gearbox essential NOW, jack each wheel up move wheel with hands check for play and for gods sake make sire either axle lock nut or spilt pins are securely fitted,,, most of my past chats are of shit hit the fan mechanical issues with me and what i have done to fix, incredible wear and tear goes on motorhomes.. ,, save you mechanical bill and get a 10T HYDRAULIC BEARING GEAR HUB 250MM PULLER KIT .. ebay or machine mart learn how to change brakes and bearings if non of this is possible get in with a good mechanic local these guys can come to your house,,, invest in tools and knowledge,,
good luck with your bearings:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
bearings are a pretty common failure point on the boxer/ducato and changing them is not as straightforward as you would expect usually. its quite common for them to sieze in the hub and even using a press, the hub cracks. there are videos of the process on youtube as i recall. obviously these make it look easy because they are trying to sell the tools for the job.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXLvVkrA5dw"]Replacing of front wheel bearing Peugeot Boxer / Citroen Jumper / Fiat Ducato 1091-17 - YouTube[/ame]

some garages play on the fact its not easy diy if you dont have a 10 tonne hydraulic press. so shop around and dont accept stupid prices. i have heard of some main dealers quoting up to £2k

do a search on this forum and you will find you are certainly not alone having suffered more than on bearing fail in relatively low miles. for instance
Broken Link Removed

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
I had my o/s wheel bearing done last month a fitter down the road from me done it he took the hub off on my drive and took it into work only just got it out on there 25 ton press , charged me £130 which I thought was brilliant the bearing was £ 85 :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yup not an easy Job:Sad:
Make sure you are using reputable bearings and not cheap Chinese imports Timkins SKF are good examples, buy from reputable suppliers pay the extra it will reap rewards Circa £70 to £90 is about right

Sorry to say even we have had one early failure after fitting a front pair
They failed in France about two weeks after fitting.

That was according to a French Fiat Dealer
We made a full refund to our customer of what we had charged him, but not triple price he expected us to pay What the French dealer charged him
We asked for the return of the failed bearings so we could claim back the refund but they were smashed to smithereens and useless
a good press is a must we just cope with a 10 Ton much more breaks the hub anyway the hand tools are a waste of money and time
Proper torque setting is also a must
If I owned a Peugeot/ Fiat I would always carry a new hub with new bearing pressed in ready needed almost as often if not more than a spare tyre
G

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well we have got it out with a 20 ton jack under the jcb they weren't smashed up just rough and tight the others are in , same road but we havnt put it back together yet, we use atoz motor factors in stoke and the only bearing they could supply are German and £25 plus vat, so we shall have to see how we get on, not saying they are any good but had no choice as they were the only place open and it's got to be back on the road for Wednesday just hope they don't pack up in France :Doh:
Let you know how we get on:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well actually it's a £153 bearing

Well actually £30 bearings that you were charged £153 for :winky:

As a matter of interest Geo, is this a year related thing do you know ?
40,000 hard miles ( with me driving ! ) on the Miller that is an 06 chassis.. bearings still spot on ( recently had to jack the front up to fit new pads )

Got the Autotrail coming in 2 weeks time.. It is an 07 ( facelift ) Fiat chassis and has 45k miles on it. There was been no mention of the wheel bearings being changed on that either

Sam and Viv

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
fife
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
of-on with caravans-40yrs
bearings

Hi Geo,
Sammy here again as i have said before i have a 96 ducato m/h is it later models that have this problem, i check them all the time.

Cheers Sammy :thumb:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

40,000 hard miles ( with me driving ! ) on the Miller that is an 06 chassis.. bearings still spot on ( recently had to jack the front up to fit new pads )

Got the Autotrail coming in 2 weeks time.. It is an 07 ( facelift ) Fiat chassis and has 45k miles on it. There was been no mention of the wheel bearings being changed on that either

Well not me exactly , the £153 was on a bill that came with the service history, on top of that they had been charged for a circlip £6, and £200 labour, that was a peugot garage in Walsall area, now having done one I can see where the labour charge came in because it took two of us a day , but part of that was deciding how to get it out so someone who knew how to do it would take the best part of a day and at £40 an hour that would soon add up, but it's up and running now , just hope it stays in one piece in France this next fortnight, the bearing we took out had no obvious markings saying what make it was and looks identical to the one we have put on, as I said in a previous post it came from A to Z parts in fenton , stoke and they are pretty reputable around this area and that was the only one they supply and reckon they have had no comebacks with them at £25 plus vat.
It is an 06 chassis but registered 07, and as far as I know (touch wood) the other three are ok from new but this near side front is now on its third, in 30000 miles but as you rightly say they had maybe been charged £153 for a £30 bearing:Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Hi Geo,
Sammy here again as i have said before i have a 96 ducato m/h is it later models that have this problem, i check them all the time.

Cheers Sammy :thumb:

Honest answer Guys its pot luck:Doh: and all and any year.
Not very help full I know but it is what it is
Geo

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
The Bearings must be replaced with GOOD quality units manufacturers or a reputable make i.e Timken ect. A good local motor factors will get them for you as they may get a discount for genuine parts. Carrying a spare hub makes sense if you are travelling to far places :thumb:

juliadavid

Free Member
Jan 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Do you guys have any idea where can I get the 10 Ton Hydraulic Gear Wheel Bearing Puller? I'm looking for an online store.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back